Fontana in 2006
April 14, 1990|
|Height||1.61 m (5 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||55 kg (121 lb)|
|Sport||Short track speed skating|
|Achievements and titles|
500 m: 42.569|
1000 m: 1:29.156
1500 m: 2:15.753
3000 m: 5:01.187
Arianna Fontana (born April 14, 1990) is an Italian short track speed skater, who won eight Olympic medals, among these a gold in the 500m short track at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. Arianna specializes in the 500 m event.
At the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, she won a bronze medal in the 500 metre event, was eliminated in the semifinals of the 1500 metre event, and was eliminated in the quarterfinals of the 1000 metre event.
At the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, she was upgraded from a bronze to a silver medal in the 500 m event after colliding with British skater Elise Christie. Christie was disqualified after causing a crash in the final. She won a bronze medal in the 1500 m event and in the Team-event, and was disqualified in the 1000 m event.
In October 2017, Fontana was named as Italy's flagbearer for the opening ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea. She won her first Olympic gold medal here, in the 500 m event. She also won silver in the team event and bronze in the 1000 m event, becoming the women with most medal in this sport.
|World Team Championships||0||0||1|
- List of multiple Winter Olympic medallists
- Italian sportswomen multiple medalists at Olympics and World Championships
- Arianna Fontana at Olympics at Sports-Reference.com
- Arianna Fontana at the International Olympic Committee
- Arianna Fontana at the Italian Olympic Committee (in Italian)
- Media related to Arianna Fontana at Wikimedia Commons
| Flagbearer for Italy