|Founded||1991 (as Hughes Software Systems)|
|Headquarters||Redwood City, California|
|Frank Kern (CEO)|
Number of employees
Aricent is a pure-play product engineering service firm. It develops software, provides technology services, and works with networking, telecom, software, semiconductor, Internet, and industrial companies. Aricent is headquartered in Redwood City, California, with operations in 9 countries worldwide; investors are KKR & Co. L.P. and Sequoia Capital. The company claims to employ 12,000 consultants, designers, and engineers at 19 locations worldwide.
- 1991: Established as Hughes Software Systems (HSS) by KV Ramani in Nehru Place,New Delhi developing software solutions in the areas of VSAT-based networks for voice and data, cellular wireless telephony, packet switching, and multi-protocol routing.Pioneering in the development of Protocol Stacks. It acquired Frog Design for approximately $25 million.
- 2004: Flextronics bought HSS to form Flextronics Software Systems and merged with Future Software Communications headquartered in Chennai.
- 2005: Expanded development operations in Kiev, Kherson and Vinnytsia in the Ukraine; Randburg, South Africa; and Beijing, China. Was delisted from India's stock market in preparation for sale.
- 2006: Was acquired by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and Sequoia Capital as part of a $900 million sales of software companies. The transaction represented the largest private equity buy-out in Indian history.
- 2007: Acquired Datalinx; launched service provider offerings.
- 2008: The Family Office, a multi-family office company with headquarters in Bahrain also joined in funding Aricent.
- 2011: Rebranded to Aricent Group.
- 2011: Opened engineering and development center for testing and wireless technologies in Vietnam
- 2013: Rebranded to Aricent.
- 2015: Acquired SmartPlay Technologies, a semiconductor service based firm for $180 million. As part of the deal, SmartPlay's 1,200-plus staff will join Aricent's staff.
- "About Us" (Webpage). Aricent. Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- "Zinnov Rates Aricent as Global R&D Services Leader". Aricent. 1 April 2016.
- "Archived copy". Aricent. Archived from the original on 2015-05-13. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- "About Us". Aricent. 27 February 2016. Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- "KKR Current Investments". KKR. Archived from the original on 2006-08-25. Retrieved 2006-10-26.
- "Aricent - Sequoia Capital". Sequoia Capital. Archived from the original on 10 November 2006. Retrieved 2006-10-26.
- "Aricent Debuts As Communications Software Pure Play". KKR. Archived from the original on 2006-10-31. Retrieved 2006-10-26.
- "Flextronics takes over FutureSoft". The Hindu. 27 August 2004.
- "One Great Leap for Frog Design". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- "KV Ramani, Founder, Future Software Pvt Ltd and Ex Chairman, NASSCOM on 'Entrepreneurship and successful business models'". Great Lakes Institute of Management.
- "Buyout deal by KKR is India's largest ever". International Herald Tribune. Archived from the original on 24 October 2006. Retrieved 2006-10-31.
- "Aricent buys US firm in global market quest". Hindustan Times. 13 September 2007.
- "Aricent Announces New Funding from KKR and The Family Office". Aricent. Archived from the original on 9 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- "Rebranded to Aricent Group". Aricent. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "Aricent opens software center in town - Aricent opens software center in town". Saigon Times.