Arid Forest Research Institute
शुष्क वन अनुसंधान संस्थान
|Type||Education and Research institute|
|Director||Dr. I.D. Arya|
|Location|| PO Kirshi Upaz Mandi, New Pali Road, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India 342005|
|Campus||Urban: Spread over 163.09 acres (0.6600 km2)|
Arid Forest Research Institute (AFRI) is a research institute situated in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India. The institute conducts scientific research in forestry in order to provide technologies to increase the vegetative cover and to conserve biodiversity in the hot arid and semi-arid regions of Rajasthan and Gujarat. It operates under the Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) of the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India.
The institute is situated on Jodhpur Pali Road (NH 65) in a campus spreading over 66 hectares, housing office buildings, laboratories, a library-cum-information center, community center, guest house, scientist hostel and residential quarters.
The institute is headed by the Director supported by a Group Coordinator (Research) and Coordinator (Facilities). The Institute has six divisions with well-equipped laboratories and technical manpower, namely:
- Forest Ecology Division
- Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding Division
- Forest Protection Division
- Silviculture Division
- Non Wood Forest Products Division
- Agroforestry & Extension Division
These divisions are well-supported with the Information Technology Cell, Coordinator (Facilities), Accounts Section, Library-cum-Information Center and an Extension Wing.
The institute has a working strength of 133 which includes two Conservators of Forests, one Deputy Conservator of Forests, 19 Scientists, a Controller, an Assistant Administrative Officer, a Hindi officer, a Librarian, 6 Research Officers, a Range Officer, and Ministerial & Technical Staff.
Capacity Building and research training
- Nursery, seed and VAM technologies for arid zone tree species.
- Forest mensuration and growth & yield modeling in plantations.
- Planting stock improvement, biotechnology and plant tissue culture.
- Afforestation of stress sites(Sand dunes, waterlogged areas, salt affected soils).
- Rain water harvesting and soil-moisture conservation.
- Site specific agroforestry models.
Mandate of the Institute
- To develop techniques for rainwater harvesting in arid areas.
- To develop technology for afforestation on stress sites.
- Eco-stabilisation of desert areas with emphasis on sand dune fixation.
- To develop techniques for production of high-quality planting material.
- Provenance trial of important arid zone species.
- Studies on biofertilizer and biopesticide.
- Research on non-wood forest products of the arid zone.
- Tree improvement through tissue culture & genetic engineering.
- Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education
- Ministry of Environment and Forests (India)
- Forest Research Institute (India)
- Central Arid Zone Research Institute
- AFRI Model Nursery
- Van Vigyan Kendra (VVK) Forest Science Centres
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arid Forest Research Institute, Jodhpur.|