|Arie S. Belldegrun|
|Born||1949 (age 66–67)
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Citizenship||Israeli and American|
|Alma mater||Hadassah Medical Center
Weizmann Institute of Science
|Occupation||Chairman, President and CEO of Kite Pharma|
|Net worth||US$1 billion (2016)|
|Relatives||Poju Zabludowicz (brother-in-law)|
Early life and academia
Belldegrun was born in Israel. He received his medical degree from the Hadassah Medical Center at Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1974, and conducted his post-graduate studies at the Weizmann Institute of Science in 1979. He completed his Urologic Surgery residency at Harvard Medical School in 1985, and his Surgical Oncology fellowship at the National Cancer Institute in 1988. He is certified by the American Board of Urology, and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons. Belldegrun is the Director of the UCLA Institute of Urologic Oncology, Professor of Urology, and Chief of the Division of Urologic Oncology at the David Geffen School of Medicine.
In 1996, Belldegrun established Agensys, an early-stage privately held biotechnology company based in Los Angeles, that is focused on the development of fully human monoclonal antibodies to treat solid tumor cancers in a variety of cancer targets. He served as its founding Chairman of the Board of Directors from 1996 to 2002, and then as a Director until December 2007, when Agensys was acquired by Astellas Pharma in a deal valued at $537 million.
Belldegrun has been a founding Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board of Cougar Biotechnology since 2003, a Los Angeles-based company with a focus in the field of oncology. In July 2009, the company was acquired by Johnson & Johnson in a $970 million transaction. In April 2011, the United States Food and Drug Administration approved Abiraterone Acetate (Zytiga), Cougar’s lead product, for late stage prostate cancer.
Since 2008, Belldegrun has been the Chairman and Partner of Two River, a New York-based venture capital firm and merchant bank focused on the life science sector. It specializes in investments in life science, biotechnology, and in firms focused on developing preventative and therapeutic technologies for a broad spectrum of disease areas including oncology, cardiovascular disease, neurological disorders, and companion animal health care.
Belldegrun is the Chairman, President and CEO of Kite Pharma (NASDAQ: KITE) which he founded in 2009. Kite Pharma is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company engaged in the development of novel cancer immunotherapy products with a primary focus on engineered autologous T cell therapy (eACT™) designed to restore the immune system's ability to recognize and eradicate tumors. The company went public in June 2014. Belldegrun, who owns 6.38 million shares of the company, has a stake worth over $400 million today.
Other board memberships
Belldegrun also serves as a member of the following boards:
- Teva (NYSE: TEVA) - Director and Vice Chairman of the Science & Technology Committee (since February 2013)
- Arno Therapeutics (OTCBB: ARNI) - Chairman (since March 2008)
- UroGen Pharma (formerly TheraCoat) - Chairman (since October 2012)
- Cell Design Labs - Director
- Oncura - Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board
- Roei Medical Technologies - Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board
- Pontifax - Chairman
- LSM at the University of Pennsylvania - Member of the Advisory Board
In the past, Belldegrun served as a member of a number of boards, including:
- SonaCare Medical (formerly Ushifu) - Director and Urological Advisor (September 2009 to 2014)
- Capricor Therapeutics (formerly Nile Therapeutics) - Director (September 2009 to November 2013)
- Talon Therapeutics (formerly Hana Biosciences) - Director, Chairman of the Compensation Committee and member of the Nominating & Governance Committee (April 2004 to December 2009)
- Paramount Acquisition - Director (June 2005 to January 2008)
- Chem Rx Corporation - Director (June 2005 to January 2008)
- RENCAREX at Wilex AG - Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board
- Email Real Estate.com - Director
- In May 2013, TheraCoat, a clinical stage specialty pharmaceutical company of which Belldegrun is the Chairman, has raised $7 million in capital from private investors and venture funds.
- Also in May 2013, Kite Pharma completed a $35 million financing of Series A preferred stock.
- In October 2013, Arno Therapeutics completed a $30.7 million financing of equity.
- In November 2013, Nile Therapeutics completed a merger with Capricor to form Capricor Therapeutics (OTCBB: CAPR). Capricor has become a wholly owned subsidiary of Nile.
- In February 2014, Velcera, a portfolio company of Two River, was acquired by Perrigo for $160 million.
- In June 2014, Kite Pharma sold 8,625,000 shares in their IPO at $17.00 per share, for net proceeds of $134.1 million. The company listed on the NASDAQ Global market under the symbol “KITE.”
- In May 2015, it was announced that TheraCoat is seeking to raise more than $20 million in the coming months as it prepares for an initial public offering in New York. The company will seek a valuation of about $200 million in the IPO.
- In January 2016, Arno Therapeutics completed a $7.4 million financing of equity.
- In August 2016, Arno Therapeutics completed a $2.8 million private placement of its common stock.
Belldegrun is married to Dr. Rebecka Belldegrun and together they have four children. They reside in Bel Air, an affluent neighborhood in Los Angeles. Their oldest son, Ben Belldegrun, a hedge fund manager, is married to Kelly Bergantz, senior producer for Syco.
In 2014, according to the Bloomberg Pay Index, Belldegrun was ranked the 8th highest-paid executive in the United States, with a pay package valued at $95.2 million.
Belldegrun has written over 400 scientific publications related to urologic oncology, and has authored several books on prostate and kidney cancers. He was one of the speakers at the Milken Institute Global Conference 2013, delivered the keynote Andrew C. Novick Memorial Lecture at the Ninth International Kidney Cancer Symposium, and regularly presents at the Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference. It was announced that Belldegrun will present at the 34th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference in January 2016.
Arie and Rebecka Belldegrun have donated over $1 million to the University of Pennsylvania School of Arts and Sciences, and have donated a $5 million sculpture to LACMA.
- "100 העשירים בישראל 2016" (in Hebrew). Forbes Israel. 7 September 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Curriculum Vitae", InfoFAQ, July 2007. Retrieved on 22 June 2013.
- "Dr. Arie S. Belldegrun, MD, FACS Joins Two River Group Holdings as Chairman and Partner". Reuters. 29 April 2008. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Arie Belldegrun, MD" Archived July 15, 2013, at the Wayback Machine., UCLA Health. Retrieved on 25 June 2013.
- "Arie Belldegrun, M.D.", David Geffen School of Medicine. Retrieved on 25 June 2013.
- "Arie Belldegrun, M.D.", USRF. Retrieved on 23 June 2013.
- "Advisory Board", Penn LSM. Retrieved on 28 August 2013.
- Moster, Roxanne & Champeau, Rachel (27 November 2007). "UCLA scientists' biotech firm to be acquired by pharmaceutical corp.". UCLA Newsroom. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Board of Directors" Archived June 30, 2013, at the Wayback Machine., Nile Therapeutics. Retrieved on 25 June 2013.
- "Johnson & Johnson Completes Acquisition of Cougar Biotechnology" Archived November 1, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.. Cougar Biotechnology. 10 July 2009. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Board of Directors", Arno Therapeutics. Retrieved on 25 June 2013.
- "Company Overview of Two River Group Holdings, LLC", Businessweek. Retrieved on 26 June 2013.
- "About Kite Pharma" Archived January 21, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.. Kite Pharma. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Morrell, Alex (13 December 2014). "Who Got Rich This Week: UCLA Doctor With a Cancer-Fighting Pharma Firm". Forbes. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Arie S. Belldegrun M.D., FACS", Bloomberg Business. 16 August 2015. Retrieved on 16 August 2016.
- "Advisory Board". University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "TheraCoat Has Completed a Capital Raising of $7M led by Pontifax and Chaim Hurvitz's CHealth Fund". The Wall Street Journal. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- Elliott, Peter (15 May 2013). "Kite Pharma Completes $35 Million Series A Preferred Stock Financing" Archived April 30, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.. iStreetWire. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Arno Therapeutics Completes $30.7 Million Financing, Recapitalization and 1-for-8 Reverse Stock Split " The Wall Street Journal (New York). 30 October 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Capricor and Nile Therapeutics Complete Merger to Form Capricor Therapeutics, Inc. ". Bloomberg. 21 November 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Ail, Pallavi (1 February 2014). "Perrigo expands further into pet care with Velcera deal". Reuters. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- “Kite Pharma Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering”. Kite Pharma. 20 June 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Calia, Michael (20 June 2014). "Kite Pharma Soars Above IPO Price on First Day of Trading". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- “Kite Pharma Announces Full Exercise of Underwriters' Option to Purchase Additional Shares”. Kite Pharma. 23 June 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Wainer, David (14 May 2015). "Israel’s TheraCoat Said to Seek More Than $20 Million Before IPO". Bloomberg. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Arno Therapeutics Completes $7.4 Million Common Stock Financing". NASDAQ. 13 January 2016. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Arno Completes $2.8 Million Private Placement". Digital Journal. 16 August 2016. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Architecture Project Entries 2003", AIANY, 2003. Retrieved on 23 June 2013.
- Kay, Richard (23 October 2012). "RICHARD KAY: Cowell girl gets the Yes Factor". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Melin, Anders & Chen, Caroline (11 June 2015). "Biotech CEOs among highest-paid US execs". Telegram.com. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Nile Therapeutics Appoints Arie S. Belldegrun, M.D., to Board of Directors". Reuters. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "US HIFU Appoints Arie Belldegrun, M.D. to Board of Directors". Reuters. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Global Conference 2013" Archived November 13, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.. Milken Institute. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Medical Symposia Keynote Addresses" Archived November 13, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.. Kidney Cancer Association. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Kite Pharma to Present at the 32nd Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". BizJournals (Charlotte). 7 January 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Kite Pharma to Present at the 34th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference". NASDAQ. 6 January 2016. Retrieved 6 January 2016.
- "$1M Lifetime Donors to the School of Arts and Sciences". University of Pennsylvania. 30 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Smoke | LACMA Collections". LACMA. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Tony Smith's monumental sculpture 'Smoke' will not disappear from LACMA; multimillion-dollar purchase finalized". Los Angeles Times. 18 June 2010. Retrieved 17 June 2016.