Ariel the Little Mermaid
|Ariel the Little Mermaid|
European Mega Drive cover art
|Developer(s)||Blue Sky Software|
Disney's Ariel the Little Mermaid, usually shorted to simply Ariel the Little Mermaid, is a 1992 video game developed by Blue Sky Software for the Sega Genesis, Sega Game Gear and Sega Master System, based on the 1989 film The Little Mermaid.
A Master System version was released exclusively in Brazil by Tec Toy.
Gameplay and plot
Despite being based on the 1989 movie, the game's story bears little resemblance to that of the movie. The player guides one of Ariel or King Triton through underwater levels similarly to the game Ecco the Dolphin, and can move in any direction. Despite who the player selects, both characters play the same, and feature two attacks for defeating enemies, a "normal" and a "special". Side characters from the film, like Flounder and Sebastian make appearances, and can aid the player in their quest.
There are a total of 5 stages, 4 regular, each featuring a boss fight at the end, with the fifth one being exclusively a final boss fight against antagonist Ursula.
The Genesis version of Ariel the Little Mermaid has received mixed to negative reviews. AllGame gave the game a somewhat positive review, stating a young child may enjoy it, but older or more skilled players should stick to more challenging/overall better Disney games, recommending titles Aladdin and The Lion King.
The Video Game Critic gave the game its lowest score of 0/10, saying it "sucks from the minute you begin playing."
- This is for the Genesis version. it is unknown if they also composed for the other versions.
- D'Cuckoo composed the Genesis music. it is unknown if they also composed for the other versions.
- The exact release date for the Master System version is unknown; sources claim the game was released in one of 1992, 1993 or November 1996. These differing release dates could possibly be from reprints the game might have received.
- "Disney's Ariel the Little Mermaid for Genesis (1992)". MobyGames. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- Ariel the Little Mermaid at MobyGames (Genesis)
- Ariel the Little Mermaid at MobyGames (Game Gear)
- Ariel the Little Mermaid at MobyGames (Master System)
|This adventure game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|