This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||Arif Masood Naqvi
13 July 1960
|Alma mater||Karachi Grammar School
London School of Economics
|Known for||Founder of Aman Foundation|
|Title||Founder and Group CEO of The Abraaj Group|
|Board member of||United Nations Global Compact
Pakistan Human Development Fund
Arif Masood Naqvi (born 13 July 1960 in Karachi, Pakistan) is the founder and group chief executive of The Abraaj Group, a private equity investor operating in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Middle East, Turkey and Central Asia. Naqvi founded the Group in 2002. It started with 60 million USD in assets under management and as of 2016, manages 10 billion USD.
Arif Naqvi began his career with Arthur Andersen in London and American Express in Karachi. In the early 1990s, he joined the Olayan Group in Saudi Arabia, the Kingdom’s largest trading company. In 1994 he started an investment firm in Dubai called Cupola with $50,000 of his own savings. In 1999, Naqvi purchased Inchcape Middle East, for $102 million, with $4.1 million in equity, making it the MENA region’s first leveraged buyout. Naqvi then sold off pieces of the company for a total of $173 million.
Recognition and thought leadership
In 2011, he was named as one of the 50 most influential people in the global private equity industry by Private Equity International. In 2012, Naqvi was appointed to the Board of the United Nations Global Compact by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
In 2014, Interpol Foundation for a Safer World appointed Naqvi to its Global Board of Trustees. In this role, Naqvi will lead the I-CHECKIT initiative, one of the Foundation's five global initiatives, aimed at protecting industries vulnerable to the threat of identity fraud, such as airlines, hotels, passenger shipping companies, banks and financial institutions.
In 2015, Naqvi was awarded with the BNP Paribas Grand Prix for Individual Philanthropy by BNP Paribas. In 2014, Arif Naqvi received the High-Impact Entrepreneur of the Year from Endeavor Global. He was also a recipient of the Kennedy Centre's Gold Medal in the Arts award.
In 2016, Arif Naqvi joined The B Team, a global nonprofit initiative co-founded by Sir Richard Branson and Jochen Zeitz. As of January 2016, Naqvi is on the Global Leadership Council of Columbia University, a Board Member of Endeavor Global, and is the Chair of the Middle East Centre Advisory Board of the London School of Economics and Political Science. He is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Art in London.
Naqvi has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the Oslo Business for Peace Award from The Business for Peace Foundation, the highest form of recognition given to individual businessmen for fostering peace and stability.
- "Brief Bios: Global Compact Board". United Nations Global Compact. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- "PHDF Board of Directors". National Commission for Human Development. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- MacBride, Elizabeth (23 November 2015). "The Story Behind Abraaj Group's Stunning Rise In Global Private Equity". Forbes. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- Hamdan, Sara (27 April 2011). "Mideast Private Equity Pioneer Looks Beyond the Unrest". The New York Times. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation partners with the Aman Foundation to transform family health - Aman Foundation | Transforming Lives". amanfoundation.org. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-07. Retrieved 2016-02-28.
- "President of Pakistan confers Sitara-e-Quaid-e-Azam on Al Abbar". Emirates News Agency. March 23, 2007. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- "Abraaj's Arif Naqvi Appointed to UN Advisory Body Global Compact - Bloomberg Business". bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- Nick McDonagh (18 November 2014). "INTERPOL Foundation for a Safer World Appoints Arif Naqvi, Founder of The Abraaj Group, to its Global Board of Trustees" (PDF). Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "John F. Kennedy Centre for the Performing Arts announces the 2014 Recipients of Gold Medal in the ArtsUAE - The Official Web Site - News". uaeinteract.com. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- Andeson, Richard. "Branson launches group to tackle short-termism in business". BBC. BBC.
- "Arif Naqvi - Endeavor". endeavor.org. Archived from the original on 2015-06-26. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "Unsupported Browser". businessforpeace.no. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- The Abraaj Group
- Aman Foundation
- Abraaj CEO: Excited by Africa and outh East Asia part 1
- Abraaj CEO: Excited by Africa and South East Asia part 2
- Abraaj CEO: Excited by Africa and South East Asia part 3
-  The Abraaj Group YouTube
- "The Abraaj Group: Video Gallery". abraaj.com. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- The Need To Shift Perspective from Developing Nations to Growth Markets
- Leadership Development-Mr Arif M Naqvi-Success Story
- What is the New Normal
- Arif Naqvi Speaks at Harvard Business School MENA Conference
- Davos 2012 - Arif Naqvi