Virani in 2015
|Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada|
|Assumed office |
August 31, 2018
|Preceded by||Marco Mendicino|
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
for Parkdale—High Park
|Assumed office |
October 19, 2015
|Preceded by||Peggy Nash|
|Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Canadian Heritage (Multiculturalism)|
January 28, 2017 – August 30, 2018
|Succeeded by||Gary Anandasangaree|
|Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship|
December 2, 2015 – January 27, 2017
|Preceded by||Costas Menegakis|
|Succeeded by||Serge Cormier|
|Born||November 23, 1971|
|Residence||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Alma mater||University of Toronto (Law)|
Arif Virani Canadian lawyer and politician. He was elected in the 2015 federal election to represent Parkdale—High Park (a riding in the central-west part of Toronto on the lakefront) in the House of Commons of Canada, as a member of the Liberal Party of Canada.(born November 23, 1971) is a
On December 2, 2015, he was appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, but was shuffled out of that post on January 28, 2017, when he was appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Canadian Heritage (Multiculturalism). On August 30, 2018 he was shuffled once again, this time into the role of Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada.
Virani's roots are in Ahmedabad, though he was born in Kampala. Virani is a multilingual Ismaili Muslim who came to Canada as a refugee from Uganda. Upon arriving in Canada in 1972 his family found solace in the Stanley Street YMCA in Montreal. His family then became more permanently established in Toronto. Virani spent his childhood growing up in the Flemingdon Park and Willowdale neighborhoods.
Virani received a joint honours Bachelor of Arts in political science and history from McGill University in 1994. He then graduated from the University of Toronto Faculty of Law. Virani remained connected to the University of Toronto Faculty of Law following his graduation by remaining involved with its alumni committee.
Virani began his legal career by articling for Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP in 1999. Following this he worked in London, United Kingdom for a year with the support of the Harold G. Fox scholarship. This scholarship for recent graduates of the Bar Admission Course allows for a pupilage with leading Barristers at the Inns of Court in London, United Kingdom. In 2003 he then went on to work as a lawyer for the constitutional law branch of the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General. He does not currently practise law as he serves in his role as a Member of Parliament. He remains an L1 class licensed lawyer according to the Law Society of Ontario. This means he is "entitled to practise law in Ontario as a barrister and solicitor".
|2019 Canadian federal election: Parkdale—High Park|
|New Democratic||Paul Taylor||19,180||31.5||-8.74|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||60,887||100.0|
|Total rejected ballots||382|
|Source: Elections Canada|
|2015 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||Peggy Nash||23,566||40.24%||-6.96||–|
|Total valid votes/expense limit||58,567||100.0||$210,593.15|
|Total rejected ballots||269||–||–||–|
|Source: Elections Canada|
- "Profile - Virani, Arif". PARLINFO. Parliament of Canada. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Hasham, Alyshah (October 19, 2015). "Arif Virani wins in Parkdale-High Park". Toronto Star. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- "Bill Blair, Adam Vaughan among new parliamentary secretaries". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- "Arif Virani". www.parl.gc.ca. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- "Arif Virani". www.parl.gc.ca. Retrieved 2018-10-23.
- Bhattacharyya, Anirudh (February 8, 2016). "How an Indian-origin MP in Canada is helping Syrian refugees". Hindustan Times. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- Harper, Tim. "For one Liberal MP the refugee backlash cuts close to home". www.thestar.com. Toronto Star. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- RACANELLI, HELEN. "Why Arif Virani ran for Parliament". Precedent - The New Rules of Law and Style. Precedent Magazine. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- Boisseau, Peter (October 3, 2016). "Jackman Law Building officially opens". www.utoronto.ca. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- Boisseau, Peter (October 3, 2016). "Jackman Law Building officially opens". www.utoronto.ca. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- "About". The Harold G. Fox Education Fund. The Harold G. Fox Education Fund. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- "About the Harold G. Fox Education Fund". The Harold G. Fox Education Fund. The Harold G. Fox Education Fund. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- "Arif Virani". Lawyer and Paralegal Directory. The Law Society of Ontario. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- "Licence Type Definitions". Lawyer and Paralegal Directory. The Law Society of Ontario. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- Racanelli, Helen (March 8, 2016). "Why Arif Virani ran for Parliament". Precedent Magazine. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- "List of confirmed candidates". Elections Canada. Retrieved October 4, 2019.
- "Election Night Results". Elections Canada. Retrieved November 5, 2019.
- Elections Canada – Confirmed candidates for Parkdale—High Park, 30 September 2015
- Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates Archived 2015-08-15 at the Wayback Machine