Arin Mirkan was a commander in the YPJ who sacrificed herself during fighting with ISIS in Kobanî on October 5, 2014 She fought together on Mishtanour Hill with Rojda Felat, who later became the general commander of the YPJ. On Mishtanour Hill, Mirkan broke into an ISIS stronghold and set off a grenade underneath a tank, killing herself along with numerous ISIS fighters. The incident marked the first known case of a Kurdish fighter carrying out a suicide attack.
Arin Mirkan – a nom de guerre, her real name was Deilar Genj Khamis – was 20 (or 22) and a mother of two. Haj Mansour, the Kurdish defence official in Kobane, reported that Kurdish fighters had been forced to withdraw from a strategic hill south of Kobane. Mirkan stayed behind, attacking ISIS militants as they surrounded her. She eventually detonated explosives attached to her body, killing 10 enemy fighters.
Rami Abdurrahman, founder and director of the Syria Observatory for Human Rights, told the Independent newspaper that he “cannot confirm the exact number” of ISIS militants killed by Mirkan's attack, but 27 ISIS fighters were understood to have died in Sunday’s clashes.
- forestbather (2014-10-06). "To Arin Mirkan". From my Forest. Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- Mogelson, Luke (2017-10-30). "Dark Victory in Raqqa". The New Yorker. ISSN 0028-792X. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- Smith, Lydia (2014-10-07). "Kurdish Female Fighters: The History of Women on the Frontline". International Business Times UK. Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- Press, The Associated (2015-03-30). Defeating the Islamic State Group: The Battle for Kobani. Mango Media Inc. ISBN 9781633531727.
- Dicle, Amed. "In memory of Arin Mirkan…". Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- "In praise of Arin Mirkan | Brendan O'Neill". www.spiked-online.com. Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- "Female Kurdish fighter kills herself while capturing town, killing 27 Isis militants". The Independent. 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- Welle (www.dw.com), Deutsche. "Kobani, a city reborn after 'Islamic State' expulsion | DW | 18.10.2017". DW.COM. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- maestrohartung (2018-05-21), Webb-Mitchell Violin Concerto ‘Arin Mirkan‘: Liza Basoff • Volker Hartung • Cologne New Philharmonic, retrieved 2019-03-11