Aristides M. Tsatsakis
Aristides M. Tsatsakis
|Institutions||University of Crete|
Aristidis Tsatsakis (Greek: Αριστείδης Τσατσάκης) is a Greek toxicologist who first carried out experimental studies with mixtures at low doses for a long term, in order to simulate real life human exposure scenarios, for the interpretation of the risks encountered in our modern world.
He is the Director of the Laboratory of Toxicology & Forensic Sciences at the Medical School of the University of Crete and University Hospital of Heraklion. He is the founder and scientific leader of the spin-off of the University of Crete, ToxPlus SA.
Professor Tsatsakis served as President of the Federation of European Toxicologists and European Societies of Toxicology (EUROTOX) from 2014 through 2016.
Under his direction, many studies and research projects were performed focusing on the development and improvement of new methods for the analysis of xenobiotics, biomonitoring and recording of their acute and long-term effects on human health, the use of macromolecular systems in nanomedicine and nanotoxicology as carriers for targeting and reducing toxicity and the examination of the length of telomeric ends in cellular aging and their association with chronic diseases.
He is an Emeritus Professor for the Federal Institute of Hygiene and Toxicology in Moscow and has a Doctor Honoris Causa of the D. Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia (2016), of the Far Eastern Federal University (FEFU), Vladivostok 2017 and of the University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Carol Davila”.
His work consists of over 1000 publications (articles in journals, books and abstracts proceedings), more than 500 of them in ISI journals, he has given over 200 keynote and plenary lectures in international congresses and has been the promoter, organizer and chair of numerous International congresses, symposiums and workshops. As a principal investigator (PI) he has coordinated over 60 scientific research and technology projects and has established worldwide collaborations.
He is the holder of numerous patents and has an extensive array of citations (over 17,000 Google Scholar) and reads/downloads (over 135,000 ResearchGate) of his papers. His current impact factor (IF) index is 62 (GS) and 50 (ISI) and has a long standing activity as an Editor in toxicology journals. Currently he is the Editor in Chief for Toxicology Reports and an editor for Food and Chemical Toxicology and was an editor and guest editor in many other journals, i.a. Toxicology, Food and Chemical Toxicology and Toxicology Letters, Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine.
His most current significant research approach is based on interpreting “real-life human exposure” scenarios based on a long-term, low-dose exposure to chemical mixtures as well as “real-life risk simulation” (RLRS) studies.
- Tsatsakis et al., 2016, New challenges in risk assessment of chemicals when simulating real exposure scenarios; simultaneous multi chemicals' low dose exposure, Food and Chemical Toxicology, Volume 96, Pages 174-176, ISSN 0278-6915, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2016.08.011
- Tsatsakis et al., 2017, Simulating real-life exposures to uncover possible risks to human health: A proposed consensus for a novel methodological approach. Human & Experimental Toxicology, 36(6), 554–564. https://doi.org/10.1177/0960327116681652
- Tsatsakis et al 2018., Toxicology for Real-Life Risk Simulation - Editorial Preface to this Special Issue, Toxicology Letters, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2018.12.003
- Tsatsakis et al 2019., Hormetic Neurobehavioral effects of low dose toxic chemical mixtures in real-life risk simulation (RLRS) in rats, Food and Chemical Toxicology, Volume 125, Pages 141-149, ISSN 0278-6915, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2018.12.043.
- "Director of the Laboratory of Forensic Science & Toxicology". University of Crete.
- "Dmitry Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia". old.muctr.ru. Archived from the original on 2019-12-09. Retrieved 2019-02-26.
- "Major European toxicologist Aristides Tsatsakis became the first FEFU Honorary Doctor". Дальневосточный федеральный университет.
- "Aristidis M. Tsatsakis Aristidis M. Tsatsakis Editor-in-Chief, Toxicology Reports". Elsevier.com.
- "Food and Chemical Toxicology". Elsevier.com.