A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Education||Calcutta University (BA)|
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology|
|Known for||Founder and chairman of HCL Technologies|
|Home town||Kolkata, India.|
|Relatives||Adiraj Malhotra (brother)|
In 1975, Malhotra co-found HCL Group, where he served as vice chairman. He also founded TechSpan and served as chief executive officer of US-based firm Headstrong after the two companies merged.
In 1975, he partnered with Shiv Nadar, Ajai Chowdhry, D.S. Puri, Yogesh Vaidya and Subhash Arora to found a company known as Microcomp Limited, which sold digital calculators. Microcomp created a joint sector company named Hindustan Computers Limited and began manufacturing mini and microcomputers.
Malhotra, along with Sandeep Sahai, Nagesh Mehra, Puneet Pushkarna, Aloke Paskar, Curt Terwilliger (all colleagues from my HCL days), Harsh Lohit, Adarsh Mehra, and Bonnie Singh started his IT venture TechSpan in 1998 and merged the company with IT services company Headstrong in 2003, becoming that company's CEO.
Awards and honors
- Malhotra was awarded the Albert Einstein Technology Medal in 2001.
- In 2003, he was named a Life Fellow by IIT Kharagpur, and later awarded the Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by the university in 2012.
- In 2013, he received an Honorary Doctorate from Punjab Technical University.
- "MYRA to host Arjun Malhotra for its 7th distinguished lecture". Mysuru Today. 17 January 2018. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "IIT Kharagpur alumnus Arjun Malhotra conferred Dataquest Lifetime Achievement Award - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Dataquest ICT Awards 2018-IT Person, Pathbreaker and Lifetime Achievement". DATAQUEST. 19 January 2019. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Majumdar, Romita (1 January 2019). "Need special interest groups for AI adoption in India: HCL co-founder". Business Standard India. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Ambulance boon for IIT". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Genpact buys IT services company Headstrong for $550mn". The Economic Times. 7 April 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Indian Companies That Made it Large". PCQuest. 2 January 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "The amazing story of the birth of HCL". Rediff India Abroad. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Why I Bought and Sold Headstrong". mybinternational.com. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Arjun Malhotra is new Headstrong CEO". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Genpact buys IT services company Headstrong for $550mn". Economic Times. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "The serial entrepreneur". Business Today. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Asia's Entrepreneurs Shine During Forbes Under 30 Summit in Boston". Forbes. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Executive Profile Arjun Malhotra". Bloomberg. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Nominations for Distinguished Alumnus Award". Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "IIT Bhubaneswar hosted Mr. Arjun Malhotra, co-founder, HCL Technologies for motivational talk on "E-Day" on 17 September 2018". Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar. Retrieved 19 February 2019.