Arkansas Highway 103
|Maintained by AHTD|
|Length:||23.86 mi (38.40 km)|
|South end:||Marina Rd./Lakeview Dr. in Clarksville|
|North end:||AR 215|
|Length:||39.81 mi (64.07 km)|
|South end:||AR 43 at the Buffalo National River|
|North end:||AR 21 at Oak Grove|
|Counties:||Johnson, Newton, Carroll|
Highway 103 (AR 103, Ark. 103, and Hwy. 103) is a designation for two north–south state highways in north central Arkansas. One segment of 23.86 miles (38.40 km) runs north from Marina Road and Lakeview Drive in Clarksville to Highway 215 in the Ozark National Forest. A second route of 39.81 miles (64.07 km) begins at Highway 43 in the Buffalo National River area administered by the National Park Service and runs north across US Highway 412 (US 412) to Highway 21 in Oak Grove.
Clarksville to Ozark National Forest
Highway 103 begins at the intersection of Lakeview Drive as Marina Road in Clarksville near the Spadra Creek Use Area along the Arkansas River. The route runs east then turns north to cross Interstate 40 (I-40) at exit 58. Now entering the central part of the city, Highway 103 becomes Rogers Avenue and has an intersection with Highway 123 before meeting US Highway 64 in downtown Clarksville. Now forming a 0.42 miles (0.68 km) concurrency westbound with US 64, the highways pass the Dunlap House and Johnson County Courthouse, both listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). The concurrency ends when Highway 103 turns north and becomes College Avenue. Highway 103 passes the historic First Presbyterian Church before entering the University of the Ozarks campus, with the majority of the campus buildings including the historic Clarksville National Guard Armory and Raymond Munger Memorial Chapel located on the west side of the highway. Following the university, Highway 103 exits Clarksville and heads northwest to Harmony through sparsely populated forested land.
Harmony brings an intersection with Highway 164 near the Harmony Presbyterian Church before turning north and entering the Ozark National Forest, administrated by the United States Forest Service. The highway winds slowly through the dense forest, including hairpin turns, to an intersection with Highway 215, where the highway terminates.
Buffalo River to Oak Grove
Highway 103 begins on the border of the National Park Service's Buffalo National River at Highway 43 in Newton County near Ponca. The highway runs north into Carroll County to Osage and passes Stamps Store before forming a concurrency with US 412 to the west. Following this overlap, Highway 103 runs north through Conner and Rule before forming a concurrency with US 62 in Green Forest. The highway turns north, ending this concurrency near the historic Green Forest Water Tower after which the route continues north through unincorporated areas to terminate at Highway 21 in Oak Grove near the Missouri state line.
|Johnson||Clarksville||0.00||0.00||End state maintenance at Lakeview Rd.||Southern terminus|
|1.61||2.59||I-40 – Little Rock, Fort Smith|
|2.57||4.14||AR 123 (Poplar St)||AR 123 southern terminus|
|US 64 (Main St)|
|Harmony||11.98||19.28||AR 164 west||AR 164 eastern terminus|
|||23.86||38.40||AR 215||Northern terminus|
|Highway 103 begins at the Buffalo National River|
|Newton||Buffalo National River||0.00||0.00||AR 43||Southern terminus|
|US 62 (Main St)||Officially designated exception[a 1]|
|Oak Grove||39.81||64.07||AR 21||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arkansas Highway 103.|
- Planning and Research Division (2012). "Arkansas Road Log Database" (MDB). Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- General Highway Map, Johnson County, Arkansas (PDF) (Map). 1:62500. Cartography by Planning and Research Division. Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. February 10, 2012. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- General Highway Map, Newton County, Arkansas (PDF) (Map). 1:62500. Cartography by Planning and Research Division. Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. July 16, 2003. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- General Highway Map, Carroll County, Arkansas (PDF) (Map). 1:62500. Cartography by Planning and Research Division. Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. April 9, 2010. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- General Highway Map, Clarksville, Johnson County, Arkansas (PDF) (Map). Cartography by Planning and Research Division. Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. May 2006. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Route and Section Map, Carroll County, Arkansas (PDF) (Map). Cartography by Planning and Research Division. Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. Retrieved May 6, 2013.