Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department
|Jurisdiction||Arkansas State Government|
|Headquarters||10324 Interstate 30, Little Rock, Arkansas
|Employees||3,578 (June 2009)|
|Annual budget||US$ 402 million (2009)|
The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) is a government department in the U.S. state of Arkansas. Its mission is to provide a safe, efficient, aesthetically pleasing and environmentally sound intermodal transportation system for the user. It manages the state highway system and is actively involved with public transportation systems within the state such as with aid to individual county road systems. Its headquarters are in Little Rock.
|This section requires expansion. (January 2011)|
Originally started as a commission of three elected officials in 1913, the agency has since expanded over the years to include a director and five commissioners appointed by the governor as well as its powers to include full oversight into the planning, construction, and maintenance of Arkansas roads.
AHTD and the Nebraska Department of Roads are the only state transportation agencies in the United States whose name still refers to "highways" or "roads"; most others are now known as the "(name of state) Department of Transportation" after the U.S. Department of Transportation. The "Highway" in AHTD's name is largely required by the Arkansas Constitution which created the Arkansas Highway Commission as its governing body; the Constitution still calls it the "State Highway Department", but the legislature added "and Transportation" to its name in 1977. Many people in Arkansas continue to call it the "Highway Department" to this day.
For administrative purposes, AHTD has divided the state of Arkansas into 10 districts supervised by district offices along with 85 county area maintenance headquarters and 31 resident engineer offices located across the state. Most districts cover multiple counties. As a state agency, its central offices are located in Little Rock, which is covered by District 6.
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- State highways in Arkansas
- Arkansas Transit Association
- Arkansas Highways
- Staff (2009). 2009 Facts (PDF) (Report). Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. Archived (PDF) from the original on 20 September 2010. Retrieved August 23, 2010.
- Staff (2011). "Director Scott Bennett - Biography". Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- Staff (2007). "Mission Statement". Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. Archived from the original on 18 September 2010. Retrieved August 23, 2010.
- Staff (2007). "Contact Us". Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- Scoggin, Robert W. (January 12, 2007). "Arkansas Highway Commission". Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture. Retrieved January 27, 2009.
- Staff (2007). "Districts". Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. Archived from the original on 18 September 2010. Retrieved August 23, 2010.
- Staff (2007). "District 6". Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. Archived from the original on 22 August 2010. Retrieved August 23, 2010.