Arkansas Midland Railroad (1992)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dates of operation||1992–|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
AKMD operates 138 miles (222 km) of line in Arkansas consisting of seven disconnected branch lines and two sister railroads, the Prescott & Northwestern (PNW) and the Warren & Saline River (WSR). The AKMD branches were formerly part of the Union Pacific Railroad, or a predecessor, while the PNW and WSR lines were acquired from Potlatch Corporation. All branch lines connect (interchange traffic) with Union Pacific Railroad. AKMD also interchanges with BNSF in North Little Rock.
- Hot Springs Branch: 33.3 mi (53.6 km) from Malvern, through Hot Springs, to Mountain Pine
- North Little Rock Branch: 14.6 miles (23.5 km) from North Little Rock to Galloway (7.8 mi. former Cotton Belt, 6.8 mi (10.9 km). former Rock Island)
- Warren Branch: 39.4 mi (63.4 km) from Warren to Dermott, with trackage rights over an additional 5.6 miles (9.0 km) to McGehee
- Cypress Bend Branch: 11.2 mi (18.0 km) from McGehee to Cypress Bend
- Helena Branch: 24.9 mi (40.1 km) from Lexa to Helena
- Jacksonville Branch: 2.7 mi (4.3 km)
- Prescott and Northwestern Railroad (PNW, affiliated): 5.7 mi (9.2 km)
- Warren and Saline River Railroad (WSR, affiliated): 2.7 mi (4.3 km)
- Gurdon Branch (emergency operation of a segment of the Caddo Valley Railroad): 3.1 mi (5.0 km)
AKMD traffic generally consists of forest and agricultural products, aggregates, aluminum, building materials and chemicals.
AKMD is a subsidiary of Pinsly Railroad Company, a holding company owning seven short-line railroads in the United States. The Hot Springs, Helena and Galloway branches are owned by AKMD (purchased in 1992); the Warren, Cypress Bend and Jacksonville branches are leased; the PNW and WSR are owned by Pinsly and operated by AKMD.
- Surface Transportation Board (December 5, 2014). "Docket number FD_35877_0".
- Arkansas Midland Railway Company, Inc. AKMD #77 Union Pacific Railroad
South Central Florida Express
| Short Line Railroad of the Year
South Buffalo Railway