Arklow railway station
Arklow Station looking North in 2008
|Location||Saint Mary's Road, Arklow, County Wicklow, Y14 YD89|
|Owned by||Iarnród Éireann|
|Operated by||Iarnród Éireann|
|Original company||Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Dublin and South Eastern Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Southern Railways|
|16 November 1863||Station opens|
|2002||Freight services cease|
The station opened on 16 November 1863.
Opened by the Dublin and South Eastern Railway the station was part of the Great Southern and Western Railway then absorbed into the Great Southern Railway by the Railways (Great Southern) Preliminary Amalgamation Scheme of 12 November 1924.
As with other stations between Wicklow and Rosslare Europort, semaphore signalling and ETS operation ceased here in April 2008. A colour-light signal existed here in semaphore days, having been installed in 1977.
Accidents and incidents
On 3 October 1979, a passenger train and a freight train were involved in a head-on collision. Twenty-nine people were injured.
Waiting facilities include three covered shelters, one on platform 1 and two on platform 2. There is a waiting room next to the ticket office in the station building on platform 1. A pay-and-display car park is in the former goods yard, with capacity for 150 vehicles and a covered bicycle parking area.
The station is staffed full-time.
It has two platforms, one on the passing loop.
The service from the station is:
Monday to Friday
- 5 trains per day to Dublin Connolly via Bray Daly (one continuing to Dundalk Clarke)
- 4 trains per day to Rosslare Europort
- 1 train per day to Wexford O'Hanrahan
- 4 trains per day to Dublin Connolly via Bray Daly (one continuing to Dundalk Clarke)
- 3 trains per day to Rosslare Europort
|Preceding station||Iarnród Éireann||Following station|
Dublin-Rosslare railway line
South Eastern Commuter
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Line open, station closed
|Dublin and South Eastern Railway
Line open, station closed
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arklow railway station.|
- "Arklow station" (PDF). Railscot - Irish Railways. Retrieved 8 September 2007.
- "Report of Inquiry into the Railway Accident on the CIE Railway at Arklow Co. Wicklow on 3rd October, 1979" (PDF). RSC. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 March 2009. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- "REPORT OF THE INQUIRY INTO THE RAILWAY ACCIDENT ON THE CIE RAILWAY AT ARKLOW, CO WICKLOW ON 3rd OCTOBER, 1979," (PDF). Dublin: Department of Transport via Rail Accident Investigation Unite. July 1982. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
Dublin to Rosslare