Arlanda South Station
|Owned by||Arlanda Infrastructure|
|Opened||25 November 1999|
Arlanda South Station (Swedish: Arlanda södra station) is a railway station on the Arlanda Line serving Stockholm-Arlanda Airport in Sweden. The station is one of two stations at the airport to be served by the Arlanda Express, the other being Arlanda North Station. The station is located inside a tunnel below the airport and is served by four or five trains per hour. The station serves Terminal 2, 3 and 4 of the airport. The station is 38.5 kilometres (23.9 mi) from Stockholm Central Station.
The station is only served by the Arlanda Express, a dedicated airport rail link which connects the airport to Stockholm Central Station. The train normally operates four times every hour, but during rush hour this is increased to five times per hour. Travel time to Stockholm is 20 minutes. Standard price for a one-way ticket is SEK 260, although discounts are offered for children, students, seniors, on special travel days and for return trips under certain conditions. The Arlanda Express is operated by A-Train, a subsidiary of Macquarie Group. The Arlanda Express operate using X3 high-speed trains. In addition, regional and intercity trains call at Arlanda Central Station.
Plans for a railway line from the city center of Stockholm to the airport started in the early 1980s. Policy-makers wanted to allow the airport to grow without increasing the road traffic to the airport, and decided to build a railway. The project involved building a branch from the existing East Coast Line from Rosersberg and back at Odensala. Financing was secured by introducing Sweden's first public–private partnership, whereby a private consortium would be granted a 40-year permit to operate the line in exchange for all direct traffic and the right to collect usage fees from other train companies. The contract was won by A-Train in 1994, which started construction in 1995 and opened the line and station on 25 November 1999.
- "Stockholm-Märsta/Arlanda-Uppsala". Järnväg.net. Archived from the original on 12 October 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Timetable" (in Swedish). Arlanda Express. Archived from the original on 13 October 2010. Retrieved 10 November 2010.
- "Fares" (in Swedish). Arlanda Express. Retrieved 10 November 2010.
- "About us" (in Swedish). Arlanda Express. Archived from the original on 23 October 2010. Retrieved 10 November 2010.
- "X2" (in Swedish). Järnväg.net. Archived from the original on 10 October 2010. Retrieved 10 November 2010.
- "History". Arlanda Express. Archived from the original on 23 October 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Media related to Arlanda South train station at Wikimedia Commons