Arlene Eisenberg with husband Howard
Arlene Leila Scharaga|
June 8, 1934
New York, NY, United States
|Died||February 8, 2001(aged 66)|
What to Expect When You're Expecting|
What to Expect The First Year
The Recovery Book
What to Expect Foundation
Sandee Eisenberg |
National Council of Christians and Jews: Gold Medal for the Look Magazine Cover Story: "The Christian War on Anti-Semitism" |
1993 Markie Award: Recovery Book
|Honours||Doctor of Humane Letters, Hunter College|
|Website||Amazon Author Central|
Arlene Leila Scharaga Eisenberg (June 8, 1934 - February 8, 2001) is an internationally recognized, award winning published author best known for her contributions to parenting to self-help literature. Among Arlene Eisenberg's most notable works is co-writing what has been described as the "bible of American pregnancy," What to Expect When You're Expecting (1984). The book's success led to the What To Expect parenting series, which as of 2012, has sold over 34 million copies in 30 languages.
Eisenberg married Howard Eisenberg at 18. Howard Eisenberg, then, a publicist for singer Eddie Fisher, encouraged Eisenberg to write. With Arlene's newfound inspiration, the duo soon began writing together, publishing articles and books in the major media. As of 2016, Howard Eisenberg continues to write in tribute to Arlene's honor.
Eisenberg passed from breast cancer February 8, 2001. Eisenberg's collaborator and daughter Heidi Murkoff continues to write new books and update the earlier books in the What to Expect series with up to date material. In 2000, The What to Expect Foundation was created by Eisenberg's book team to provide educational resources to needy families.
Awards and honors
- In 2001, Eisenberg was posthumously awarded the 2001 Career Achievement Award by the American Society of Journalists and Authors
- In 2000, Eisenberg, along with her husband was awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from Hunter College
- In 1993, Eisenberg along with her husband won First prize winner of the 1993 Markie Award, sponsored by the National Foundation for Alcoholism and Addiction Communication (NFAAC) for the Recovery Book
- In 1965, Eisenberg won the Gold Medal by the National Council of Christian and Jews, for the Look Magazine cover story: "The Christian War on Anti-Semitism"
- What to Expect the Toddler Years (1996)
- The Recovery Book (1992)
- What to Expect the First Year (1989)
- What to Eat When You're Expecting (1986)
- Night Calls (1986)
- What to Expect When You're Expecting (1984)
- Special Guest Cookbook (1982)
- Alive & Well: Decisions in Health (1979)
- Eisenberg, Arlene. "World Cat Identities".
- Kantor, Jodi (2005-09-15). "Expecting Trouble: The Book They Love to Hate". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "What To Expect When You're Expecting, Pregnancy, Baby, Babies, Toddler, Parenting | What to Expect". Whattoexpect. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- LaPorte, Nicole (2012-05-18). "'What to Expect When You're Expecting': The Movie and the Book's Heidi Murkoff". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- WOO, ELAINE (2001-02-15). "Arlene Eisenberg; Co-Author of Best-Selling Guide to Pregnancy". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- Martin, Douglas (2001-02-10). "Arlene Eisenberg, 66, Author Of 'What to Expect' Guides". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Eisenberg, Arlene. "What To Expect Foundation".
- "The Recovery Book: 9781563050848 - book enterprises". www.abebooks.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.