|Arlene (Eurlyne) Howell|
October 25, 1939
Delhi, Louisiana, U.S.
|Other names||Eurlyne Howell|
|Title||Miss Louisiana USA 1958|
(1) Paul Michael LaCava(2) Gerald F. Maruschak (1983- )
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Miss USA 1958 (winner)|
Arlene Howell (born October 25, 1939) is a former American television actress from northern Louisiana who won the title of Miss USA of 1958.
Early life and education
She was born Eurlyne Howell in 1939 on Turkey Creek, in Delhi, Louisiana. Actor Earl Holliman was also born in this town. She has two sisters. They attended local schools. Howell graduated from Bossier High School, class of 1957, in Bossier City, Louisiana. She studied speech and dramatics at Centenary College of Louisiana.
Beauty pageant and acting career
Howell entered the state level of the Miss USA beauty pageant, hoping to earn some money to support her work in an acting career. After winning Miss Louisiana USA, she became the first of three titleholders from the state to win the Miss USA crown, when she won the Miss USA Pageant in Long Beach, California, in July 1958. That same week, she competed in the Miss Universe Pageant and placed as third runner-up, the only known third runner-up for USA in the pageant.
In 1959, shortly before her 20th birthday, Howell was cast as secretary Melody Lee Mercer in the ABC/Warner Brothers crime drama Bourbon Street Beat. The series is set in New Orleans. Studio publicity at the time emphasized Howell's Louisiana roots, but the program was produced in Los Angeles.
Howell also played Cindy/Ladybird in several episodes of Maverick. She was cast in episodes of 77 Sunset Strip, Bronco, Alcoa Premiere, and played "Flora" in a 1966 episode of Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C..
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2017)
- Eurlyne Howell, Les Memoires 1957, Bossier High School, Bossier City, Louisiana, page 29, lower right
- "Eurlyne Howell". The Monroe News-Star. Louisiana, Monroe. July 24, 1958. p. 2. Retrieved February 3, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Bossier Girl Wins Miss U.S.A. Title". The Monroe News-Star. Louisiana, Monroe. United Press International. July 24, 1958. p. 1.
- Profile, Miss USA official website; accessed August 11, 2015.
- Terrace, Vincent (2011). Encyclopedia of Television Shows, 1925 through 2010. McFarland & Company, Inc. ISBN 978-0-7864-6477-7. P. 128.
- Arlene Howell profile, imdb.com; accessed August 11, 2015.
- TV.com (1966-01-28). "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.: Sergeant Carter Dates a Pyle". TV.com. Retrieved 2013-12-11.