|Born||April 3, 1948|
Saint-Lambert, Quebec, Canada
|Notable works||Les Filles de Caleb|
Arlette Cousture, OC CQ (born April 3, 1948) is a Canadian writer. She writes historical fiction, often depicting the lives of women in Quebec. Many of her novels have become best-sellers in the French language.
As a young woman, Cousture worked at Radio-Canada television. She later worked in radio and as a journalist. She worked in communications at Hydro Quebec.
In the 1980s Cousture wrote a pair of best-selling novels, Les filles de Caleb, about the life of a young teacher in rural Quebec. The stories later became the basis of a television series and were translated into English. Cousture later wrote more stories about the novels' heroine, Emilie.
In the 1990s Cousture wrote a two-volume story, Ces Enfants d'ailleurs, about a Polish family's move to Canada during World War II.
- Mary Jean Matthews Green. Women and Narrative Identity: Rewriting the Quebec National Text. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP; 2001. ISBN 978-0-7735-2207-7. p. 124–.
- Between Woman and Nation: Nationalisms, Transnational Feminisms, and the State. Duke University Press; 1999. ISBN 0-8223-2322-2. p. 56–.
- Quebec. Scholastic Library Publishing; October 1992. ISBN 978-0-516-06617-2. p. 93.
- Arlette Cousture at The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Reingard M. Nischik. History of Literature in Canada: English-Canadian and French-Canadian. Camden House; 2008. ISBN 978-1-57113-359-5. p. 446–.
- W.H. New. A History of Canadian Literature. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP; 6 August 2003. ISBN 978-0-7735-7136-5. p. 344–.
- Adamson, Judith. "Nostalgia for a simpler Quebec". Toronto Star - Toronto, Ont. Jan 09, 1993 F.14
- Sharing the Blessings. Médiaspaul; 1996. ISBN 978-2-89420-315-6. p. 111–.
- David L. Pike. Canadian Cinema Since the 1980s: At the Heart of the World. University of Toronto Press; 6 December 2012. ISBN 978-1-4426-9832-1. p. 162–.
- John Robert Colombo. Fascinating Canada: A Book of Questions and Answers. Dundurn; 27 May 2011. ISBN 978-1-4597-0028-4. p. 138–.
- Quill & Quire. Vol. 58. 1992. p. 19.
- "Les récipiendaires de l'Ordre national du Québec" (in French). Archived from the original on 2012-06-04.
|Library resources about |
|By Arlette Cousture|