Arlington County Police Department
|Arlington County Police Department|
|Common name||Arlington County P.D.|
Patch of the Arlington County Police Department
Seal of the Arlington County Police Department
Badge of an Arlington County Police Department officer
Flag of Arlington County, Virginia
|Formed||October 1, 1963|
|Preceding agency||Arlington County Division of Police (February 1940 – October 1963)|
|Annual budget||$58 million|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||County of Arlington in the commonwealth of Virginia, U.S.|
|Map of Arlington County Police Department's jurisdiction.|
|Size||26 square miles (67 km2)|
|Legal jurisdiction||Arlington County|
|Governing body||County of Arlington|
|Headquarters||Arlington County, Virginia|
|Agency executive||M. Jay Farr, Chief of Police|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
The Arlington County Police Department (ACPD) is the primary law enforcement agency servicing 207,627 people within 26 square miles (67 km2) of jurisdiction within Arlington County, Virginia.
The ACPD was created on February 1, 1940 as the Arlington County Division of Police with Harry Woodyard as the first Chief of Police. It assumed its current name on October 1, 1963 after a departmental reorganization.
On February 1, 1940, the first Arlington County policing department was formed, under the name of the "Arlington County Division of Police". A few years later, the first ACPD auxiliary force was created.
In 1963, the agency assumed its present name.
Since the establishment of the Arlington County Police Department, 7 officers have died in the line of duty, the most recent in 2016 as a result of an illness caused by the September 11 attacks of 2001.
Chief of Police
The Chief of Police as of August 2017 is M. Jay Farr. He was appointed by the County Manager in 2015.
The ACPD offers the following services:
- Residential Premises Security Survey
- Commercial Premises Security Survey
- Operation Identification Information
- Neighborhood Watch Information
- Crime Prevention Literature
- Program Presentation to a Group
Special operations section
- Auxiliary Officer Unit
- Crisis Negotiation Unit
- Crossing Guard Unit
- Parking Enforcing Unit
- Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Unit
- Traffic Unit
- Internal Affairs
|Vehicle||Country of origin||Type||Notes||Picture(s)|
|Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor|| United States (origin)
|Cruiser||Second generation model.|
|Ford Police Interceptor||United States||Cruiser||Sixth generation model.|
|Mobile command center||RV/bus|
- Arlington County Police Department (1998). "Arlington's Police Department: The History". Arlington County Police Department. Virginia: Arlington County. Retrieved August 13, 2017.
- "Arlington County Police Department". Police.
- AFIP, U.S. Air Force Technical Sergeant Louis Briscese, Forensic Photography, Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner (11 September 2001). "English: An Arlington County Police car, along with EMS equipment in the foreground at the Pentagon in September 2001." – via Wikimedia Commons.
- "Arlington County Police Department, VA". The Officer Down Memorial Page (ODMP). 2016. Retrieved August 13, 2017.
- "Corporal Harvey Snook, III". The Officer Down Memorial Page (ODMP). 2016.
- "Donnellan Names Jay Farr Chief of Police – Newsroom".
- "About – Police, Arlington, Virginia".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arlington County Police Department.|
- Arlington County Police Department official weblink
- Arlington County Sheriff's Office official weblink
- Arlington County government official website
- Arlington County Police Department at the Wayback Machine (archived July 10, 2005)
- Arlington County Police Department at the Wayback Machine (archived January 24, 2001)
- Arlington County Police Department at the Wayback Machine (archived June 26, 1997)