Arlington High School (Indiana)
|Arlington High School|
4825 North Arlington Avenue
|School district||Indianapolis Public Schools|
|Athletics conference||Indianapolis Public School Conference|
|Team name||Golden Knights|
Arlington High School is a comprehensive public high school located in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Arlington High School was established in 1961 to address rapid suburbanization in Indianapolis. Arlington was among the last public high schools to open within the Indianapolis Public Schools system. In 2004, Arlington High School implemented a small school initiative: Traditional departments were done away with and five small schools, or schools within the school were created. Each school has its own academic dean, or principal, and the previous principal became the campus administrator. This district-pushed initiative was meant to improve student success.
In 2015, the school was returned to the control of IPS after being run by Tindley Accelerated Schools for three years. During the early parts of the year the school was faced with many challenges including drugs, vandalism, and violence. After Principal Law requested, and was granted, additional administrative staff from the district, the school began to see a turnaround. By the end of the year academic performance had increased and disciplinary problems had decreased.
In June 2017, Due to the school's low–enrollment and poor academic performance, IPS decided that Arlington would close along with two other schools; Borad Ripple and Northwest High Schools after the 2017–2018 school year. The school board decided Arlington would reopen as a middle school for the 2018–2019 school year.
The school's athletic teams are named the Golden Knights.
- James Brewer (attended) – football player, NFL. Former offensive tackle for the New York Giants, New York Jets.
- Mike Epps (attended) – stand-up comedian, actor, film producer, writer and rapper.
- Vivica A. Fox, 1982 – actress, producer and television host.
- Bruce Hubbard, 1971 – singer and actor.
- Rodney Scott, (attended) – baseball player, MLB infielder for the New York Yankees, Montreal Expos, Chicago Cubs, Oakland Athletics and Kansas City Royals.
- Dave Blase, cyclist and inspiration for the movie Breaking Away. He was a biology teacher at Arlington High School.
- Arlington alumni vow to fight IPS plans to close their high school - June 28, 2017
- "Arlington High School". ArlingtonKnights.org. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- "Arlington Community High School". GreatSchools.org. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- "Arlington Community High School Overview". USNews.com. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- "Arlington Community High School". Trulia.com. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- IndyStar - IPS to close Arlington, Broad Ripple, Northwest high schools - June 28, 2017
- IPS superintendent recommends closures of Arlington, Broad Ripple and Northwest high schools - June 28, 2017
- Indystar - Mike Epps is among IPS Hall of Fame inductees - November 9, 2016
- Vivica A. Fox - (1964-)
|This Indiana school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Indianapolis, Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|