Gutierrez was born in Cuba, then moved to the United States, where he spent several years in New Jersey and eventually settled in Miami, Florida. He spent several years in the banking industry, serving as Senior Vice-President of the Central Bank and Trust Company.
He has been Director of the Latin Chamber of Commerce and a delegate of the Cuban Patriotic Junta. He also served as Chairman of South Floridians for the Statue of Liberty, a fundraising group that supported the statue's 100th anniversary restoration campaign. Gutierrez was a member of the Diversity Action Council, an organization created and funded by Miami-based Burger King to promote and support diversity among its franchisees.
He acted as spokesperson for the family of Elián González during the Elián González affair. Gutierrez supported the efforts in Miami to prevent Elián from being sent to live with his father in Cuba. Gutierrez organized the legal team and negotiated with the US government. The night of the entry to retrieve Elián Gonzalez, Gutierrez and attorneys were in the house speaking to the Clinton administration.
Gutierrez is owner of several businesses including consulting companies and a utility company. In May 2009, Gutierrez sold his 50% interest in WQXM, an AM radio station in Bartow, Florida. Gutierrez is the father of Armando Gutierrez the producer and actor.
- Castro, Max (January 28, 2000). "Milagro in Miami?". Salon.com. Retrieved December 6, 2009.
Political consultant Armando Gutierrez, the key strategist on the team, is renowned for conducting some of the dirtiest campaigns in a city known for hardball politics.
- Madigan, Charles (November 8, 1981). "Fear of crime overshadows mayoral election in Miami". Chicago Tribune. p. 5.
- "Miamian was not in Cuba with Jackson". Miami Herald. July 1, 1984. p. 22A.
- "Statue's Friends Pay for Liberty to Shine". Miami Herald. August 9, 1983. p. 1C.
"This is a project that all ethnic groups can get involved in", said Armando Gutierrez, chairman of the South Floridians for the Statue of Liberty, ...
- "Burger King Pledges $100m to Help Boost Minority Participation". JET. 65 (9). December 27, 1993. ISSN 0021-5996.
- Johnston, David (April 21, 2000). "THE ELIAN GONZALEZ CASE: THE OVERVIEW; U.S. Gathers Officers, Preparing To Take Cuban From Miami Kin". NY Times. Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- "Public Notice" (PDF). FCC.gov. Federal Communications Commission. May 1, 2009. p. 3. Retrieved December 6, 2009.
- Gutierrez Elian Press Meeting
- New York Times, Gutierrez involved in Florida Recount
- New York Times, Gutierrez during Elian Gonzalez
- New York Times, Cuban Leaders Bitter over Elian Saga
- New York Times, Delay in Cuba
- CNN , INS Speaks to Gutierrez
- CNN , Gutierrez Appeals Gonzalez Decision
- NPR, Gutierrez Interview
- Discovery Channel Special
- TIME MAGAZINE Elian Movie