|Other names||Egyptian Sheepdog|
Hawara Dog Egyptian armant herding dog
|Common nicknames||Egyptian armant herding dog , Black Lion|
|Domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris)|
Armant (also known as Egyptian Sheepdog or Ermenti) is a medium-sized breed of herding dog.
Armants originate from Egypt and were originally used as guard dogs. It is believed to be a descendant of European dogs, that were introduced by Napoleon's troops, crossed with Briards. They are named after the town of Armant in Egypt. The breed's fearlessness when confronted by predators as well as its loyalty see them put to use in Egypt as guard dogs.
A typical dog is 21 and 23 inches (53 and 58 cm) at the withers and weighs between 50 and 65 pounds (23 and 29 kg). It has a large head, small eyes and a deep, broad chest. The ears differ in each one and there is no standard concerning the ears (they may be erect or drooped). Armants can be of multiple colours, the most common of which are the black, black and tan, gray and gray-yellow variations. Armants are a very agile breed. The breed is very obedient and quite protective of its territory, which it will fearlessly defend.
Armants are good working dogs with a fearless and loyal temperament. They generally respond well to training but require a firm owner to accomplish this. They bond well with other animals and are very good with children.
It is theorised that due to the similarities between the breeds, the Armant played a part in the breeding of the Bearded Collie. The breed has remained in use in Egypt and the dogs are still used as guard dogs and for herding.
The present-day Armant primarily originates from France and Holland. The breed is unrecognised by the major kennel clubs, including the American Kennel Club and The Kennel Club, however it is recognised by some smaller associations, such the Continental Kennel Club. One of the famous Armants was owned by the Egyptian Ambassador in Berlin, who annexed the watchdog's first prize at a dog show in Berlin.
- "Armant". Central Pets. Archived from the original on 2008-02-09. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- Sheepdog - A Complete Anthology of the Breeds. Read Books Ltd. 2013. ISBN 1447491955. OCLC 936199549.
- "Armant". Continental Kennel Club. Archived from the original on 2006-10-30. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "Egyptian Sheepdog - Armant". Hunde Guiden. Archived from the original on 26 August 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "How Long Will Your Dog Live". Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- Short, Glenn D. (1996). "Early History of the Bearded Collie". Beardie.net. Archived from the original on 23 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-08.