Armed Forces Recreation Centers
AFRCs (Armed Forces Recreation Centers) are a small chain of Joint Service Facility resorts hotels owned by the United States Department of Defense to provide rest and relaxation in the form of lodging and outdoor recreation for United States military service members, US military retirees and other authorized patrons .
Rates for use of these facilities are often determined by rank, with the lowest ranking service-members paying the lowest fees. The facilities are often located in areas where typical hotel and resort rates are very high, thus allowing the members of the military lower cost vacations. Hale Koa Hotel at Fort DeRussy, Hawaii is the only AFRC resort inside a Military Reservation in the United States.
Armed Forces Recreation Centers are Joint Service Facilities and are operated by the Army's Installation Management Command (IMCOM).
- Active duty members of the U.S Armed Forces.
- Members of the Reserve and National Guard.
- Retired members of Active Duty, Reserves, and the National Guard.
- Retired Reservist and National Guardsmen not yet age 60 (Gray Area).
- Honorably discharged veterans with 100 percent service-connected disability certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- Recipients of the Medal of Honor.
- Current civilian and retired employees of the Department of Defense.
- Former and/or Surviving Spouses and Family Members of a Retired member of the Armed Forces or of personnel who died while on active duty.
- Involuntarily separated service members under the Transition Assistance Management Program.
- Personnel separated under the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) and Special Separation Benefit (SSB) programs for two years after separation from service.
- U.S. employees of firms under contract to Department of Defense working in the Pacific Region outside the U.S. on Department of Defense Government orders.
Armed Forces Recreation Centers resorts
The five resorts include:
- Shades of Green located in Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida;
- Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany;
- Dragon Hill Lodge in Seoul, Korea;
- Hale Koa Hotel in Fort DeRussy, Hawaii.;
- New Sanno Hotel in Tokyo, Japan
- Armed Forces Recreation Centers
- U.S. Army MWR
- DoD Lodging Worldwide - All Military Services
- Military Lodging
- US Navy Lodge
- "First-class in Bavaria.(Armed Forces Recreation Center hotel)". Soldiers Magazine. 2004-09-01. Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- "Hale Koa Hotel at the Ft. DeRussy Armed Forces Recreation Center". about.com. Retrieved 2007-09-21.
|This United States military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|