Armin von Bogdandy
Armin von Bogdandy
5 June 1960|
|Fields||Public international law|
Armin von Bogdandy (born 5 June 1960 in Oberhausen) is a German legal scholar. He is director of the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg and Professor for Public Law at the Goethe University Frankfurt. Armin von Bogdandy’s research centers on the structural changes affecting public law, be they theoretical, doctrinal, or practical.
A member of the noble Hungarian Bogdándy family, Armin von Bogdandy is a son of the metallurgist and industrial executive Ludwig von Bogdandy, and a grandson of the Hungarian physical chemist Stefan von Bogdándy.
Armin von Bogdandy studied law (1979–1984) and philosophy (1980–1987) at the University of Freiburg and at the Freie Universität Berlin before completing his doctoral thesis (1984–1986) on Hegel’s Theory of the Statute; his PhD was supported by a scholarship of the Land Baden-Württemberg. In 1989, Armin von Bogdandy passed his second state exam in Berlin. From 1993 to 1995, he received a scholarship from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) and qualified as a professor at the Freie Universität Berlin (1996). In August 1997, he obtained a professorial chair in Public Law, European Law, and International and Economic Law as well as Philosophy of Law at the University in Frankfurt/Main.
From 2001 until 2014, Armin von Bogdandy was a judge – and, from 2006 onwards, the president – at the OECD Nuclear Energy Tribunal in Paris. He became one of the two directors of the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg in October 2002.
From 2005 until 2008, he was a member of the German Science Council (Wissenschaftsrat) before becoming a member of the Scientific Committee of the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (2008–2013). From 2010 until 2015, he was a Senior Emile Noël Fellow at New York University. Since 2013, he has been a Partner Investigator at the “Normative Orders” cluster of excellence in Frankfurt/Main.
- Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize (http://www.dfg.de/en/funded_projects/prizewinners/leibniz_prize/index.html)
- Premio Internacional de Investigación „Héctor Fix Zamudio” Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (http://www.juridicas.unam.mx/inst/evacad/premiohfz/)
- “Mazo” (gavel) of Interamerican Court of Human Rights (http://www.corteidh.or.cr/)
- Prize of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences for outstanding scientific achievements in the field of legal and economic foundations (https://idw-online.de/de/news263657)
- In whose name? A public law theory of international adjudication. Paperback, with a new postscript to this edition. Oxford University Press, New York, 2016. (with Ingo Venzke)
- Ius Constitutionale Commune en América Latina: una mirada a un constitucionalismo transformador. In: Revista Derecho del Estado 34, 3-50 (2015).
- Handbuch Ius Publicum Europaeum. Volume 1-6, Armin von Bogdandy, Peter M. Huber (Hrsg.). C. F. Müller, Heidelberg 2007-2016.
- National legal scholarship in the European legal area – A manifesto. In: International Journal of Constitutional Law 10 (2012) 3, 614-626. Zugleich: Deutsche Rechtswissenschaft im europäischen Rechtsraum. In: Juristenzeitung (JZ), 1 (2011) 66, 1-6.
- Colombo, Giancarlo; Kliemann, Horst (1994). "von Bogdandy, Ludwig". Who's Who in Germany. p. 2181.
- Literature by and about Armin von Bogdandy in the catalogue of the German National Library (https://portal.dnb.de/opac.htm?method=simpleSearch&query=121435261)
- Official website Armin von Bogdandy, Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law (http://www.mpil.de/en/pub/institute/personnel/institute-management/directors/bogdandy.cfm)
- Cluster of Excellence at Goethe University Frankfurt/Main (http://www.normativeorders.net/en/organisation/staff-a-z?view=person&id=382)
- Scientific Committee of the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (https://idw-online.de/de/news269042)
- Senior Emile Noël Fellowship at New York University (http://www.law.nyu.edu/news/mayer_von_bogdandy_eu_model) and Jean Monnet Center (http://jeanmonnetprogram.org/fellow/armin-von-bogdandy-4/)