Army Group D
|Army Group D|
|Active||26 October 1940 –|
Army Group D was formed on 26 October 1940 in France, its initial cadre coming from the disbanded Army Group C.
On 15 April 1941, the status of Army Group D was upgraded. From that date on, the commander of Army Group D was also to be considered Oberbefehlshaber West (or OB WEST – the Commander in Chief for the Western Theatre). As a result of this, Army Group D is sometimes incorrectly referred to as Army Group West.
- 25 October 1940 – Generalfeldmarschall Erwin von Witzleben
- 15 March 1942 – Generalfeldmarschall Gerd von Rundstedt
- 2 July 1944 – Generalfeldmarschall Günther von Kluge
- 15 August 1944 – Generalfeldmarschall Gerd von Rundstedt
- 11 March 1945 – Generalfeldmarschall Albert Kesselring
Orders of battle
- Seventh Army
- First Army
- Fifteenth Army
- Commander of all German troops of Occupation in the Netherlands
- Tessin, Georg (1980). Die Landstreitkräfte: Namensverbände / Die Luftstreitkräfte (Fliegende Verbände) / Flakeinsatz im Reich 1943–1945 [Ground forces: Named units and formations / Air forces (Flying units and formations / Anti–aircraft service in the Reich 1943–1945]. Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen–SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939–1945 (in German). 14. Osnabrück: Biblio. ISBN 3-7648-1111-0.