Army Sergeant Major
|Army Sergeant Major|
|Reports to||Army Board|
|First holder||Glenn Haughton|
The Army Sergeant Major is the most senior member of the other ranks of the British Army. Both appointment holders have actually been commissioned officers (and former warrant officers class 1) holding the rank of captain, although uniform and insignia similar to that of a warrant officer class 1 is worn while holding the appointment. The appointment was created as part of the changes to the British Army's top ranks around February 2015. The ASM sits on the Executive Committee of the Army Board (ECAB) and works with the Secretary of State for Defence, top civil servants and other high-ranking members to shape British Army policy. The first appointment was made in March 2015.
The Army Sergeant Major's rank badge is the royal coat of arms within a wreath.
|No.||Name||Took office||Left office||Time in office||Ref|
|1||Glenn Haughton OBE|
|1 March 2015||31 October 2018||3 years, 244 days|||
|2||Gavin Paton||8 November 2018||Incumbent||339 days|||
- Chief of the Air Staff's Warrant Officer – Royal Air Force equivalent
- Corps Regimental Sergeant Major – Royal Marines equivalent
- Warrant Officer of the Naval Service – Royal Navy equivalent
- "Soldiers take seat at top table". Soldier Magazine. British Army. February 2015. p. 13.
- "No. 61742". The London Gazette (Supplement). 25 October 2016. p. 3.
- "No. 60765". The London Gazette (Supplement). 28 January 2014. p. 1689.
- Jones, Bruce (1 February 2015). "CGS outlines new British Army senior posts amid culling of generals". IHS Jane's Defence Weekly.
- Inglis, Will (16 April 2015). "Army Promises To Listen To Lower Ranks". Forces TV. Archived from the original on 19 June 2015. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Trustees". The Soldiers Charity. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Senior military officers support London Pride". Defence in the media blog. MOD. 27 June 2015.
- "New Army Sergeant Major Glenn Haughton". British Army official website. 20 August 2015.
- "WO1 Glenn Haughton OBE has been appointed as the first Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chiefs of Staff Committee (SEAC)". UK MOD. UK MOD. 5 November 2018.
- British Army [@BritishArmy] (8 November 2018). "Chief of the General Staff General Mark Carleton-Smith has confirmed the appointment of WO1 Gavin Paton as the next @ArmySgtMajor, replacing WO1 Glenn Haughton @SEAC_Defence, "Big shoes to fill, but WO1 Paton is the man for the job"" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Soldier Magazine December 2018". Soldier Magazine. Soldier Magazine. 30 November 2018.
|This United Kingdom military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to the British Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|