|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
February 27, 1945|
Mount Clemens, Michigan
|Died||October 22, 2015
Rancho Mirage, California
|Known for||Michael Jackson's dermatologist|
Early life and education
Klein was born on February 27, 1945, in Mt. Clemens, Michigan, the son of a Jewish Orthodox rabbi. He was raised in Michigan and North Miami, Florida, graduating from North Miami High School in 1963.
In 1967, Klein earned his Bachelor's degree in Biology from the University of Pennsylvania. He attended the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, earning his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1971. He completed an internship at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and his residency in dermatology at the University of Pennsylvania and the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA). In 1975, he served as Chief Resident in Dermatology at UCLA.
Klein was an outspoken critic of the misuse of prescription drugs, toxins, and certain synthetic dermal fillers, including ArteFill. He was responsible for the FDA giving Allergan's Botox a black box warning. Klein was named a consultant to the FDA. He died on October 22, 2015 at the age of 70 at the Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, California.
In August 1985, Klein joined the board of the Los Angeles-based National AIDS Research Foundation (NARF). A month later, the Foundation merged with the New York-based AIDS Medical Association, now known jointly as AmfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research. As of 2012[update], Klein was also a member of the Advisory Board of the AIDS Services Foundation Orange County.
In 2007, Klein founded The Elizabeth Taylor Endowment for the UCLA CARE Center, a facility that focuses on advancing HIV/AIDS research and treatment. In the November 2008 issue of L'Uomo Vogue, in an article related to AIDS in Africa, it was reported that Klein and the organizations which he founded have raised in excess of $274 million for HIV research and care.
Klein served as a trustee to various boards of directors, some of which included the Jennifer Jones-Simon Foundation and The Hereditary Disease Foundation. Klein, alongside his old friend Frank Gehry, helped the foundation to raise funds and awareness for inherited diseases.
Klein also co-founded the Rose Tarlow-Arnold W. Klein Breast Cancer Foundation at UCLA which provides breast cancer treatment for individuals who are unable to afford it.
Honors and awards
He has received numerous awards and honors including Who's Who in the World, Best Doctors in America, Men of Achievement, AIDS Services Foundation of Orange County, Award of Merit, Los Angeles Magazine, The Best of L.A., Los Angeles Business Journal, 10 Masters of Medicine in Los Angeles, Haney Scholar, University of Pennsylvania, Inaugural Visiting Professor in Cosmetic Dermatology, Harvard School of Medicine, Inaugural Visiting Professor in Cosmetic Dermatology, University of Vermont, Measey Scholar, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Foundation Fellow, Public Health Service Post – Doctoral Fellow, and Top Doctors of America. In 2004, Klein was given a chair in his name at the UCLA Division of Dermatology.
Klein has published more than 150 scientific papers. Some of these include:
- Klein AW, Cuskey W, Krassner W; Drug Trip Abroad - American Addicts in Amsterdam and London; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; University of Pennsylvania Press; 1972
- Klein AW, Samitz M. Nickel; Dermatitis: hazards from prosthesis; Journal of the American Medical Association; 1973;223:27
- Klein AW, Sternberg J, Bernstein P; The Skin Book; New York, NY; MacMillan; 1980
- Klein, A.W. Implantation techniques for injectable collagen: Two and one-half years of personal clinical experience; Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology; 1983;9(2):224–228
- Kalter S. (Klein A. - Consultant); Looking Up: The Complete Guide to Looking And Feeling Good For The Recovering Cancer Patient; New York, NY; McGraw-Hill; 1987
- Klein, A.W. Injectable Collagen: in Textbook of Dermatology, 3rd ed; Moeschella S, Hurley H, eds.; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: W.D. Saunders; 1992
- Klein, A.W. Substances for soft-tissue augmentation; In: Burgdorf WHC, Katz SI, eds.; Dermatology Progress and Perspectives: The Proceedings of the 18th World Congress of Dermatology; New York, NY: Parthenon Publishing Group; 1993
- Klein, A.W. Sterility of refrigerated injectable collagen syringe; Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology; 1993;29(3):507
- Klein, A.W. Soft-tissue augmentation in the practice of dermatology; In: Moy R, Lask G, eds.; Surgical Dermatology; New York, NY; McGraw-Hill; 1996
- Klein, A.W. Injectable collagen: a tutorial; In: Dzubow L M.D. ed.; Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery; Lippincott-Raven Publishers; 1998
- Klein, A.W. Tissue Augmentation in Clinical Practice: Procedures and Techniques Textbook; Shalita AR M.D., Norris AD M.D., eds.; New York, NY; Marcel Dekker, Inc.; 1998
- Klein, A.W. Substances for soft tissue augmentation; In: Freedberg I M.D., ed.; Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine, 5th ed.; New York, NY; McGraw Hill;1999
- Klein AW, Klein J, Narins R; Tumescent liposuction; In: Freedberg I M.D., ed.; Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine, 5th ed.; Vol II; New York, NY; McGraw Hill; 1999
- Klein, A.W. Injectable augmentation (fat, collagen); In: Blitzer A M.D., Binder WJ M.D., Boyd JB M.D., Carruthers A M.D., eds.; Management of facial lines and wrinkles; Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins Publishers; 2000:145-176
- Klein, A.W. Filling substances: collagen; In: Narins R M.D., ed.; Cosmetic Surgery: An Interdisciplinary Approach; Marcel Dekker, Inc. Publishers; 2001:193-220
- Klein, A.W. New filling substances on the horizon; In: Narins R M.D., ed.; Cosmetic Surgery: An Interdisciplinary Approach; Marcel Dekker, Inc. Publishers; 2001:313-331
- Klein, A.W. Treatment of wrinkles with botox (forehead, glabella, crow-feet, mental); In: Kreydon OP, Böni R M.D., Burg G, eds.; Hyperhidrosis and botulinum toxin in dermatology; Current Problems in Dermatology; Basel, Krager Publishers 2002; 30:188-217
- Klein AW, Krauss M,; Soft tissue augmentation; In: Kaminer M, Dover J, Arndt K, eds.; Atlas of Cosmetic Surgery; WB Saunders Company, Publishers; 2002:264-290
- Klein AW, Kreyden OP; Storage and dilution of botulinum toxin; In: Boni R, Burg G, Kreyden OP, eds.; Hyperhidrosis and Botulinum Toxin in Dermatology; S. Karger Publishers; 2002;30:126-130
- Klein, A.W.; Carruthers, J. MD; Carruthers, A. MD; Lowe, NJ, MD; et al. A multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy and safety of botulinum toxin type A in the treatment of glabellar lines; Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology; 2002 :46:840-849
- Klein, A.W. Treatment of migraine: letter to the editor; New England Journal of Medicine; September 5, 2002;347(10):764-766
- Klein, A.W. Temporary dermal fillers usa; In: Lowe NJ, ed.; Textbook of Facial Rejuvenation: The Art of Minimally Invasive Combination Therapy; Martin Dunitz Publishers 2003;17:189-202
- Klein, A.W. Substances for soft tissue augmentation; In Freedberg I M.D., ed.; Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine, 6th ed. New York, NY; McGraw Hill; 2003
- Klein, A.W. Klein J, Narins, R; Tumescent liposuction; In: Freedberg I M.D., ed.; Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine, 6th ed. Volume II; New York, NY; McGraw Hill; 2003
- Klein, A.W. "Temporary fillers", In: Nouri K M.D., Leal-Khouri S M.D., eds. Techniques in Dermatologic Surgery, Edinburgh, London, Mosby, 2003.
- Klein, A.W. "Treatment of dyshidrotic hand dermatitis with intradermal botulinum", Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, January 2004. 4 (1)
- Klein, A.W. "Tissue Augmentation in Clinical Practice" Taylor & Francis, January 2006.
- Klein, A.W.; Alam, M; DesJardin J, et al.; "A quality rating scale for aesthetic surgical procedures", Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 2006. 54(2): 272-282
- Seal, Mark (March 2012). "The Ugly World of Dr. Arnie Hill, Beverly Hills' King of Botox". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Arnold William Klein, MD | Dr. Arnold William Klein". Drarnoldklein.com. February 27, 1945. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Dr. Arnold Klein, The Most Innovative & Famous Cosmetic Dermatologist in the World". Beverlyhillstimesmagazine.com. May 14, 2011. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- Kalter, Suzy (May 25, 1981). "Dr. Arnold Klein's Business Is Shady but Lifesaving—He's Out to Prevent Skin Cancer". People.com. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "UCLA headlines September 8, 2008".
- Ryan, Harriet (1 January 2012). "Troubles mount for another Michael Jackson doctor". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
The wealth allowed Klein to give generously to a host of causes, volunteer as an unpaid professor at UCLA and support his disabled brother.
- Rundle, Rhonda L. (August 29, 2007). "Things Get Ugly Over a Beauty Injection - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- Johannes, Laura (January 4, 2011). "Botox Injections to Treat Migraines - WSJ.com". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved January 23, 2012.
- "Allergan's Q1 Nightmare: Profit Down; Black Box Warning on Botox Vindicates an Old Nemesis; "It's All Medicis' Fault!"". CBS News. May 1, 2009. Retrieved January 23, 2012.
- "Biography | Dr. Arnold William Klein". Drarnoldklein.com. February 27, 1945. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Arnold W. Klein, M.D". Web.archive.org. July 21, 2011. Archived from the original on July 21, 2011. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "ASF Advisory Board | ASF". Ocasf.org. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Committed to the Eradication of HIV Infection Worldwide". UCLA AIDS Institute. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Committed to the Eradication of HIV Infection Worldwide". UCLA AIDS Institute. November 4, 2005. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Dr. Arnold Klein". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Hereditary Disease Foundation - Board of Directors". Hdfoundation.org. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Academic Positions & Honors | Dr. Arnold William Klein". Drarnoldklein.com. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- Champeau, Rachel (July 23, 2004). "UCLA Announces New Endowed Chair: The Arnold Klein, M.D., Chair in Dermatology / UCLA Newsroom". Newsroom.ucla.edu. Retrieved March 8, 2012.