|Industry||Timber Importer and Distributor, Distribution,
Sawmill, Retailer, Holiday Homes, Property Development
|Products||Timber World - Softwood, Hardwood, Plywood, medium-density fibreboard, Joinery Products
Roof truss, Laminates, Kitchens, Decking, Flooring, Formwork
|Services||Timber World Services - Timber treatment, Timber moulding, Door servicing|
|Revenue||£106 million +|
|Owner||The Laver Family|
Number of employees
|Divisions||Timber World Timber Merchants, Laver Leisure Holiday Homes, Property Development and Investment|
Arnold Laver Ltd is a timber merchant based in Sheffield. The company was founded by Arnold Laver in 1920. They have 12 depots, employ approximately 600 people, and with a turnover in excess of £106 million per year.
Arnold Laver started his business using a hand cart, he made customers pay in advance, bought the wood then delivered it. In its first year, Laver made enough money to buy a horse, named Charlie, to help him with his deliveries. In 1925 Arnold Laver began negotiations to purchase a much larger site on Bramall Lane and in 1927 the new Olympic Sawmills opened. This site was the Company's head office in later years, with the main depot moving to the old goods-yard off Queens road, as the firm expanded.
The saw mill on Bramall Lane/Shoreham Street has been redeveloped as Arnold Laver's new head office and Anchor Point, a residential complex, which has been built above the offices on the site of the old offices and saw mill. The Site is next door to Sheffield United's ground and their new hotel development. The company also redeveloped its site on Queens Road in 2002 and it is now occupied by a B&Q superstore. The Olympic sawmill and trade outlet moved to a new site at Mosborough
The company now supplies timber and timber based products to a wide range of customers and sectors, including many of the largest civil engineers, the Ministry of Defence, shop-fitters and supplied 50% of all the timber and sheet materials used in building the London Olympic venues.
In 1960 Arnold Laver & Co Ltd diversified and established Laver Leisure, a series of holiday home park in and around Skegness, with over 1400 seasonal holiday homes across 11 different parks.
Further interests include property development and investment.
The company has 12 depots across the UK.
The company has owned or owns the following sites:
- Chesterfield Road - Sheffield (Arnold Laver Retail DIY & CallCollect Centre) Now redeveloped as a Lidl supermarket
- Queens Road Yard - (Now B&Q Warehouse)
- Midhill Road (Alco yard) - (closed and Redeveloped Dec 2006 (see here).
- Shoreham Street/Bramall Lane - (Sawmills closed and now showroom closed in 2006)
- Mosborough - New Olympic saw mill, main distribution depot and trade centre & retail showroom.
- Chesterfield - Sawmill, trade centre and distribution yard (closed - relocated to Sheffield Halfway)
- Bradford - Call Collect centre, Garnett Street
- Oldbury - Arnold Laver Depot on Dudley Road East
- Newcastle upon Tyne - Arnold Laver Depot, Wagonway Road, Hebburn
- Hull - Arnold Laver Depot, Crowle Street
- Leeds - Arnold Laver Depot, Pontefract Road
- Bradford - Arnold Laver Depot, Canal Road
- Manchester - Arnold Laver Depot, Liverpool Road, Cadishead
- Kidderminster - Arnold Laver Depot, Oldington Lane
- London - Arnold Laver Depot, New Road, Rainham
- Reading - Arnold Laver Depot, Basingstoke Road
- Sheffield Central - Arnold Laver Depot, Little London Road
3rd party refs required.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arnold Laver.|
|This article related to a manufacturing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|