|Residence||New York City|
|Spouse(s)||Arlene Kramer Richards|
Arnold Richards, M.D., is a psychoanalyst and former editor of The American Psychoanalyst and Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association (JAPA). Richards also is the Training and Supervising Analyst at the New York Psychoanalytic Institute. He is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of the International Psychoanalysis.net magazine. Richards is a board member and former chair of YIVO.
Richards became an editor for The American Psychoanalyst in 1989. He redesigned the format and content of the newsletter during his term as editor. From 1994 to 2003, Richards was an editor for the Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association (JAPA). He is a faculty member of the American Institute of Psychoanalysis and the Metropolitan Institute of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy. Richards presented the 50th annual Leo Baeck Memorial lecture in 2006. In 2014, he participated in the Senior Sino-American Continual Training Project of Psychoanalysis.
Writing and research
He presented "A.A. Brill: The Politics of Exclusion and the Politics of Pluralism" in November 1995. He presented "The Organizational Structure of the American Psychoanalytic Association: The Politics of Exclusion" at the 37th annual conference of the International Psychohistorical Association in June 2014.
Awards and recognition
Richards received the Mary S. Sigourney Award in 2000. He is a member of the American Psychoanalytic Association and received its Distinguished Contributor Award in 2004. In 2013, Richards received the Hans W. Loewald award.
- Psychoanalysis: The Science of Mental Conflict - Essays in Honor of Charles Brenner (1986) ISBN 9780881630541
- Fantasy, Myth, and Reality: Essays in Honor of Jacob A. Arlow (1988) ISBN 9780823618873
- The Spectrum of Psychoanalysis: Essays in Honor of Martin S. Bergmann (1994) ISBN 9780823645053
- The Perverse Transference and Other Matters: Essays in Honor of R. Horacio Etchegoyen (1997) ISBN 9780765700711
- Psychology of Women: Psychoanalytic Perspectives (2000) ISBN 9780823655885
- The Jewish World of Sigmund Freud: Essays on Cultural Roots and the Problem of Religious Identity (2010) ISBN 9780786444243
- Richards, A.D. (1981). Self Theory, Conflict Theory, and the Problem of Hypochondriasis. Psychoanalytic Study of the Child 36:319-337.
- Richards, A.D. (1985). Isakower Like Experience on the Couch: A Contribution to the Psychoanalytic Understanding of Regressive Ego Phenomena. Psychoanalytic Quarterly 54:415-434.
- Richards, A.D. (1990). The Future of Psychoanalysis: The Past, Present, and Future of Psychoanalytic Theory. Psychoanalytic Quarterly 59:347-369.
- Richards, A.D. (1992). The Search for the Common Ground. In: The Common Ground of Psychoanalysis edited by Robert S. Wallerstein, Chapter 12, p. 243-266.
- Richards, A.D. (1996). Psychoanalysis: A Personal Odyssey. In: Career Pathways in Psychiatry: Transition in Changing Times. Hillsdale, NJ: Analytic Press.
- Richards, A.D. (1999). A. A. Brill And The Politics Of Exclusion. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association 47:9-28.
- Anisfeld, L., Richards, A.D. (2000). The Replacement Child: Variations on a Theme in History and Psychoanalysis. Psychoanalytic Study of the Child 55:301-318.
- Mosher, P.W., Richards, A. (2005). The History of Membership and Certification in the Apsaa: Old Demons, New Debates. Psychoanalytic Review 92:865-894.
- Richards, A.D. (2005) Brill, Abraham Arden (1874-1948). International Dictionary of Psychoanalysis.
- Richards, A.D. (2006). The Creation and Social Transmission of Psychoanalytic Knowledge.Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association 54:359-378.
- Richards, A.D. (2008) Presented Paper: Sigmund Freud's Jewish Identity at Judaism and Psychoanalysis: A Continuing Dialogue. The Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies, 610 South Michigan Avenue Downtown Chicago, October 5, 2008.
- Richards, A. (2009). The Need not to Believe: Freud's Godlessness Reconsidered. Psychoanalytic Review 96:561-578.
- Lynch, A.A., Richards, A.D. (2010). Leo Rangell: The Journey of a Developed Freudian. Psychoanalytic Review 97:361-391.
- Richards, A. (2013). Freud's Free Clinics: A Tale of Two Continents. Psychoanalytic Review 100:819-838.
- Sydney Levin (March 19, 2012). "When Your Mouth Betrays You: The Science and Psychology Behind Slips". Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- Eric V. Copage (April 18, 1999). "Putting Up With It Is One Thing, Inflicting It Quite Another".
- Edith Kurzweil. "One Hundred Years of Seductions". 65 (2).
- "Arnold D. Richards, M.D." Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Freud's Free Clinics: A Tale of Two Continents". Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Writing as Roots" (PDF). Retrieved December 7, 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "The American Psychoanalytic Association History". Archived from the original on December 7, 2014. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "The Analyst's Personality: Impact on the Theory of Psychoanalytic Technique". Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Helping the Patient Look Deeper When the Patient Wants to Stay on the Surface". Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Leo Baeck Memorial Lectures". Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Arnold Richards in China: On Countertransference, 2014". May 28, 2014. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Brill memorial lectures". Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "The Organizational Structure of the American Psychoanalytic Association: The Politics of Exclusion by Arnold Richards". June 4, 2014. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Transference and Countertransference with Arnold Richards at MITTP". October 1, 2014. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Hans W. Loewald Memorial Award". Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- Salman Akhtar (2012). Between Hours: A Collection of Poems by Psychoanalysts.
Richards, A. (2017). Psychoanalysis in Crisis: Art, Science or Ideology? JASPER, vol. 1, # 1, pp. 43-59.