|Born||1 September 1910
|Died||25 February 1944
|Years of service||1939–44|
|Unit||5th SS Panzer Division Wiking
11th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division Nordland
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
Iron Cross I Class
Iron Cross II Class
German Cross in Gold
Infantry Assault Badge in Silver
Arnold Stoffers (1 September 1910 - 25 February 1944) was an Obersturmbannführer (Lieutenant Colonel) in the Waffen SS during World War II. He was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, which was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership by Nazi Germany during World War II.
World War II
During World War II as part of the SS-VT he took part in the Polish Campaign where he was awarded the Iron Cross II class in October 1939. He was then involved in the Battle of France where he received the Iron Cross I class in August 1940.
He was posted to the new SS Division Wiking (Viking), and was given command of the II. Battalion, SS Panzergrenadier Regiment "Nordland".
During Operation Barbarossa the "Nordland" spent the winter of 1941-42 along the Mius River in the eastern Ukraine with the German Army Group South. During July 1942, SS Wiking advanced to the southeast, reaching the Caucasus. SS Wiking next helped contain the Soviet offensive towards the Dnieper, before taking part in General Erich von Manstein's counter-offensive. By late March the fighting had subsided and Nordland was rested near Isjum, close to its positions from a year earlier.
In recognition of the "Nordland"'s success Arnold Stoffers was awarded the German Cross in Gold.
He was then transferred to the 11th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division "Nordland" upon its formation and given command of the 23rd SS Panzer grenadier Regiment "Norge". He was killed in defensive action against the Soviet Narva Offensive (15–28 February 1944) on 25 February 1944 and awarded a posthumous Knight's Cross in March 1944.
- II.Battalion, SS Panzergrenadier Regiment "Nordland"
- II.Battalion, 10th SS Panzergrenadier Regiment "Westland"
- 5th SS Flak Battalion
- 23rd SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Regiment "Norge"
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Mitcham, Samuel W (2007). Retreat to the Reich : the German defeat in France, 1944. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-3384-7.
- Fey, Will; Henschler, Henri (2003). Armor Battles of the Waffen-SS. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-2905-5.
- Mitcham, Samuel W (2007). The German Defeat in the East, 1944–45. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-3371-7.