Arnoud van Doorn
Arnoud van Doorn (born 18 March 1966, The Hague) is a former politician from the right wing anti-islamic Dutch Freedom Party (PVV) of Geert Wilders. In December 2011, the party broke with Van Doorn.
He decided to become a Muslim a few years later, after learning about the teachings of Islam. Until May 2014, he served as a member of The Hague City Council for the PvdE, a political party based on Islam. At the moment he is President of the European Da'wah Foundation, and Ambassador of Celebrity Relations for the Canadian Da'wah Association in Europe. He is a Member of the Board and Official Representative for the PvdE in the city council of The Hague.
In February 2014 Van Doorn was sentenced to pay a fine on leaking secret documents to the press, possession of an illegal flare gun, and for selling soft drugs to minors, in 2014 it was raised to an extra 240 hours of community service. Van Doorn claimed to have sold the soft drugs in order to catch a drug dealer, although the judge called his explanation "very implausable".
Conversion to Islam
Van Doorn announced his conversion to Islam in April 2012. Soon after, he performed Hajj to Saudi Arabia and visited the Prophet's Mosque. He said that the overwhelming reaction of Muslims around the world against the film Fitna made him interested to learn more that led to his decision to convert to Islam. He stated, "Right now I am still feeling regret for having distributed the film. I have a responsibility to correct the mistakes that I've done in the past."
"I saw my father become more peaceful after converting to Islam. That's when I realized there is something good in this religion and it made me change my perception of Muslims. I started studying Quran."
- (in Dutch) List of PVV candidates, 2010 elections
- "Arnoud van Doorn: from anti-Islamic film-maker to hajj pilgrim". The Guardian UK. 23 October 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- (in Dutch) Haagse PVV breekt met raadslid, Binnenlands Bestuur, 14 December 2011
- "From Wilders to Muhammad: Former Freedom Party vice-chairman converts to Islam". The Amsterdam Herald. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- (in Dutch) Werkstraf en boete voor raadslid Arnoud van Doorn, 14 February 2014, Algemeen Dagblad
- "Former Anti-Islam Film-Maker, Arnoud Van Doorn, Peforms [sic] Hajj After Becoming Muslim". Huffington Post UK. 22 October 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- ""I am sorry, O Prophet..."". Saudi Gazette. 23 April 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- MUHAMMAD JAWED (25 April 2014). "Van Doorn's son embraces Islam". Arab News. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Van Doorn's son embraces Islam". Arabnews.com. 22 April 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Son of distributor of anti-Islam film accepts Islam". Khaleejtimes.com. 21 April 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2014.