28 August 1917|
Corigliano Calabro, Italy
|Died||28 December 2006
Aroldo Tieri (28 August 1917 – 28 December 2006) was an Italian actor. He appeared in 107 films between 1939 and 1969.
Life and career
Born in Corigliano Calabro, son of the journalist and playwright Vincenzo Tieri, Aroldo Tieri moved in Rome at 18 to study law at university, and in the meanwhile approached acting and enrolled the Accademia Nazionale di Arte Drammatica Silvio D'Amico. Graduated in 1938, he almost immediately made his debut in theater and in film. Soon Tieri became one of the most popular and appreciated young actors, with a predisposition to the comic genre. In cinema Tieri specialized in roles on jealous, irascible, nervous boyfriends, and this characterization limited his career and caused his retirement from films in the late 1960s. His versatility was revealed especially on stage and on television, that at the end of the 1950s gave him notoriety with a successful adaptation of the Dickens' novel Nicholas Nickleby and then as host of Canzonissima in 1960. Companion for many years on the scene of the actress Giuliana Lojodice, later his wife, Tieri formed a stage company with her in 1965 and the couple was very active in multiple projects at theater, radio and TV.
- Mad Animals [Animali pazzi] (1939)
- C'è sempre un ma! (1942)
- Document Z-3 (1942)
- What a Distinguished Family (1945)
- Last Love (1947)
- Mad About Opera (1948)
- Little Lady (1949)
- Sicilian Uprising (1949)
- Toto Looks For a House (1949)
- L'inafferrabile 12 (1950)
- Night Taxi (1950)
- Toto the Sheik (1950)
- Toto Looks for a Wife (1950)
- Beauties on Bicycles (1951)
- Song of Spring (1951)
- Accidents to the Taxes!! (1951)
- Toto and the King of Rome (1951)
- Beauties in Capri (1952)
- Cavalcade of Song (1953)
- Noi siamo le colonne (1956)
- Tuppe tuppe, Marescià! (1958)
- Il raccomandato di ferro (1959)
- Ciao, ciao bambina! (1959)
- Non perdiamo la testa (1959)
- Who Hesitates is Lost (1960)
- The Joy of Living (1961)
- I due mafiosi (1964)
- Two Mafiamen in the Far West (1964)
- Enrico Lancia, Roberto Poppi. Dizionario del cinema italiano: Gli attori dal 1930 ai giorni nostri. Gremese Editore, 2003. ISBN 8884402697.
- "Lutto nel mondo del teatro è morto l'attore Aroldo Tieri". La Repubblica. 29 December 2006. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- Anna Testa. "Buonasera Aroldo, buonasera Giuliana": Aroldo Tieri e Giuliana Lojodice, vita carriera e scene da un matrimonio. Baldini Castoldi Dalai, 2010. ISBN 8860732751.
- Antonio Panzarella. Aroldo Tieri: una vita per lo spettacolo. Bevivino, 2005. ISBN 8888764526.