Around the Way Girl
|"Around the Way Girl"|
|Single by LL Cool J|
|from the album Mama Said Knock You Out|
|Released||November 20, 1990|
|Recorded||March 1989 – August 1990|
|Genre||Golden age hip hop, R&B, pop|
|Label||Def Jam Recordings|
|Songwriter(s)||James Smith, Rick James, Marlon Williams|
|Producer(s)||Marley Marl, DJ Eddie F (remix)|
|LL Cool J singles chronology|
The song is a rap about LL searching for a girl who is streetwise to form a relationship with. The entire song describes the exact features of what he is looking for in this particular girl. The chorus repeats the line "I need an around the way girl".
The song samples Mary Jane Girls' "All Night Long", Keni Burke's "Risin' to the Top", and The Honey Drippers' "Impeach the President", which is used as the main instrumental element of the song. This song is an early example of the high pitched sample rap.
The song later appeared on LL Cool J's 1996 greatest hits album, All World: Greatest Hits.
"Around the Way Girl" peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming LL Cool J's first top 10 single. It was also a hit on the R&B and dance music charts, where it peaked at #5 and #7, respectively. The RIAA certified "Around the Way Girl" Gold on January 15, 1991 for sales of over 500,000 copies.
The video was filmed in what used to be a warehouse on Borden Avenue in Long Island City, Queens.
Single track listing
- "Around The Way Girl" (LP Version)- 4:05
- "Around The Way Girl" (Untouchables Remix feat. Chad Jones)- 4:32
- "Around The Way Girl" (Instrumental)- 3:51
- "Murdergram" (LP Version)- 3:52
- "Around the Way Girl" (Album Version) / (LP Version) - 4:05
- "Around the Way Girl" (Instrumental) - 3:51
- "Around the Way Girl" (Untouchables Remix feat. Chad Jones) - 4:32
- LL Cool J – Around the Way Girl, retrieved 2016-12-14
- "Around the Way Girl - LL Cool J Song Information". billboard.com. Billboard. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1991". Archived from the original on 2009-07-07. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
|This 1990s hip hop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|