Around the World in 80 Plates
|Around the World in 80 Plates|
|Presented by||Cat Cora
|Opening theme||Robert ToTeras|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Executive producer(s)||Dan Cutforth
|Running time||44 minutes
|Production company(s)||Magical Elves Productions|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original release||May 9, 2012– July 18, 2012|
Around the World in 80 Plates is an American reality competition television series that debuted May 9, 2012, on Bravo. The series follows twelve chefs competing in a culinary race across ten countries in 44 days and is hosted by professional chefs Curtis Stone and Cat Cora.
In order of elimination:
- Clara Moore — (Hometown: St. Louis, MO)
- Sai Pituk — (Hometown: El Paso, TX)
- Keven "Cheven" Lee — (Hometown: Chatsworth, CA)
- Chaz Brown — (Hometown: Voorhees, NJ)
- Gary Walker — (Hometown: Detroit, MI)
- Nick Lacasse — (Hometown: Burlington, VT)
- Jenna Johansen — (Hometown: Boulder, CO)
- Nicole Lou — (Hometown: San Jose, CA)
- John Vermiglio — (Hometown: Clinton Township, MI)
- Steve "Nookie" Postal — (Hometown: Cambridge, MA)
- Liz Garrett — (Hometown: Los Angeles, CA) -- Runner-up
- Avery Pursell — (Hometown: Los Angeles, CA) -- Winner / Fan Favorite
|Avery||WIN||MVC||WIN||IN (-)||WIN||IN (-)||IN||MVC||IN||MVC||WINNER|
|Nookie||IN (-)||WIN||MVC||IN||WIN||IN||WIN||IN||IN (-)||OUT|
|John||IN||IN||IN||IN||IN (-)||MVC||MVC||IN (-)||OUT|
|Nicole||IN (-)||IN (-)||WIN||WIN||MVC||IN||IN||OUT|
- (MVC) The contestant was a member of the winning team in that episode's Take-Over Challenge and was selected as the Most Valuable Chef.
- (WIN) The contestant was a member of the winning team in that episode's Take-Over Challenge.
- (IN) The contestant was not a member of the winning team, but did not receive any votes for elimination.
- [IN (-)] The contestant was not a member of the winning team and received at least one vote for elimination.
- (OUT) The contestant was not a member of the winning team, received the majority of votes and was eliminated.
|Premiere date||Location||Teams||Exceptional Ingredient Challenge||Take-Over Challenge||Most Valuable Chef||Eliminated||U.S. viewers
Episode 1: London Calling
|May 9, 2012||London, England||
||The teams are given maps of three pubs and must visit each one offering food and drinks. The first team to finish wins.
||Each team will take over one of the pubs and create two authentic gastro-pub dishes while replicating the three dishes they ate during the pub crawl.
Episode 2: Forget Paris
|May 16, 2012||Lyon, France||
||The teams navigate through France and do several sheep-themed challenges. First, two teammates must correctly identify six sheep cheeses. Next, each team must herd four sheep into a pen without touching the animals. The final challenge is to taste wines and match them up to their ingredients.
||Each team will be taking over a restaurant, making four dishes a piece. Both teams must also craft a quenelle to be served.
Episode 3: Something Smells Fishy
|May 23, 2012||Barcelona, Spain||
||The teams sort and prepare three different types of seafood: monkfish, merluza, and sepia. Each type of seafood is worth a different amount of money. By the time the delivery truck arrives, whoever makes the most money wins.
||Each team will share a restaurant, each creating a three course seafood menu based on the seafood they prepared in the previous challenge.
Episode 4: In and Out of Africa
|May 30, 2012||Marrakesh, Morocco||
||Find the Ben Boubker spice shop within the Medina. Pour glasses of Mint Tea in the traditional Moroccan style.
||Each team will share a restaurant, each creating a tagine in addition to two other dishes.
Episode 5: Tale of Two Villas
|June 6, 2012||Florence, Italy||
||In Florence, the Course starts with a scavenger hunt where the chefs get
firsthand experience on the traditions of the local cuisine.
|With their new knowledge, they head to beautiful villas in the rolling hills of Tuscany to create Tuscan cuisine for the Takeover. One chef causes a disaster in the middle of the night and must confess to his fellow chefs.
Episode 6: Ciao Down
|June 13, 2012||Bologna, Italy||
||The chefs shift gears and head north to Bologna where they tackle the local favorite, tortellini.
||Tempers flare between two chefs over past grievances and one of the contestants is intent on taking a teammate down.
Episode 7: Thai Breaker
|June 20, 2012||Chiang Mai, Thailand||
||Find and transport two baskets of coconuts, then grate five pounds worth. Plant 20 rows of rice in a traditional paddy.
||Each team runs a Thai street food cart, with the goal of earning the most money.
(wins $5000 instead of immunity)
Episode 8: Feeding the Demon
|June 27, 2012||Hong Kong, China||
||Retrieve an envelope from a statue of Buddha, then bundle 10 hairy crabs, then fill 7 steamer baskets with dumplings.
||The chefs compete as individuals to cook a five-course meal at a restaurant that offers "X-Treme Chinese Cuisine" for Alvin Leung.||Avery||Nicole||0.83|
Episode 9: Cry for Me Argentina
|July 11, 2012||Buenos Aires, Argentina||
||The chefs have to make 80 empanadas to then sell in a local park and earn 150 pesos.
||The teams takeover a local parrilla (grill house) and create a menu featuring two appetizers and two meat dishes.
Episode 10: A Winner Comes Home
|July 18, 2012||Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay||
||Go to three different shops for ingredients for, and then prepare, a traditional Uruguayan dish of each chef's choice
||Create a three-dish menu inspired by three of the chefs' previous destinations throughout the competition, with the help of two past contestants as sous chefs
- "Bravo Media Takes Culinary Competition to a New Level With "Around the World in 80 Plates" Premiering on Wednesday, May 9 at 10PM ET/PT". The Futon Critic. March 7, 2012.
- "Bravo Media Announces Unprecedented Partnership With Chase Sapphire Preferred to Co-Produce New Culinary Competition Series "Around The World In 80 Plates"". The Futon Critic. February 29, 2012.
- "Season 1 - Cast & Info". Bravo Media LLC. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Put TNT on Top". The Futon Critic. May 10, 2012.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: Lakers/Thunder Continue Playoff Surge for TNT". The Futon Critic. May 17, 2012.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: ESPN Tops Charts With 76ers/Celtics". The Futon Critic. May 24, 2012.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "Hatfields & McCoys" Finale Tops Miami/Boston". The Futon Critic. May 31, 2012.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: Game 6 of Spurs/Thunder Puts TNT on Top". The Futon Critic. June 7, 2012.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "Dallas" Opens on Top for TNT". The Futon Critic. June 14, 2012.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "Dallas" Holds Onto Top Spot in Second Week". The Futon Critic. June 25, 2012.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "Royal Pains" Tops Viewers, "Dallas" Leads Demos". The Futon Critic. June 29, 2012.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "ESPY Awards" Top Demos, "Royal Pains" Leads Viewers". The Futon Critic. July 12, 2012.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "Royal Pains" Slips Past "Dallas" for Top Spots". The Futon Critic. July 19, 2012.