Arpaïs Du Bois
|Arpaïs Du Bois|
Arpaïs Du Bois in Galerie Geukens and De Vil, Antwerp, Belgium, on December 9, 2010
|Known for||Contemporary art|
Her works on paper in diary-like books form a significant portion of her artwork. Utilizing word and image associations are characteristic of Du Bois's work, as is the use of language. These diaries, consisting of refined forms and scattered phrases, carefully positioned on otherwise empty grounds, have designated her public output, generally providing the content for her exhibitions in the form of pages torn from the notebooks arranged in novel constellations. These constellations have a high level of poetic strength as well as a striking fragility.
She formulates her (pre)occupation as a fight against forgetting, against oblivion. Her developed system of noting down what many overlook, of commenting so-called trivialities, by bending the bow between image and the written word has made her a fierce observer and commentator of the small systems in which we live, as well as the big wide world in which we attempt to make our small systems work.
She started a new collaboration with Hannibal Publishing in 2016. Arpaïs Du Bois has been working on a daily blog since 2008 called "Instant de jour et dessin d'un soir", which is a daily posted photograph combined with a daily drawing.
Concerning Du Bois's artwork, Roger Pierre Turine has stated, "Between dreams, pains, fears and passing euphoria, they are witness drawings and crutches to the artist whenever she doubts." Anne-Marie Poels remarked, "Du Bois sees, thinks, feels, hears and lets the result of this flow onto paper".
- Bundel Lichamen, Toohcsmi, 2001
- Histoire, Imschoot, 2004
- Des illusions virgule, Toohcsmi, 2005
- Where We Met, Lannoo Publishers, 2011, ISBN 978-90-209-5788-4
- Petit livre qui ne tient pas debout, Lannoo Publishers, 2013, ISBN 978-94-014-1102-8
- Tout droit vers la fin en sifflotant, Hannibal Publishing, 2016, ISBN 978-94-9208-156-8
Selected solo exhibitions:
- "Mon rêve avait une jambe de bois" 2003, Asse
- "Histoire" 2004, Aulnay-sous-Bois, (Paris)
- "Petites graines de tous les jours" 2006, Prague
- "Le sauvetage de la grande béquille" 2008, Antwerp
- "Du corps au monde" 2010-2011, Kapellen
- "Trois cent quatre-vingt-onze, deux mille sept cent quarante huit" 2011, Antwerp.
- 46 sketchbooks with a total of 2748 drawings, that together form the diaries of one year and 26 days. A mirror of herself in two thousand and a few splinters.
- "Face au(x deux) mur(s)", 2012, Hasselt
- "Where They Met", with Yamamoto Masao, 2012, Antwerp.
- "Where They Met - and Further", with Yamamoto Masao, Semina Rerum, 2012, Zürich
- "au manège défoncé", PAK, 2013, Gistel
- "noyade sèche", Galerie van der Mieden, 2013, Brussels
- "PAR LES BRETELLES", Gallery Fifty One, 2014, Antwerp
- "trouver un moyen d'habiter le monde", Museum Dr.Guislain, 2016, Gent
- "faire partie des gens qui chantent", Gallery Fifty One, 2016-2017, Antwerp
Selected group exhibitions:
- "Tekeningen" 2004, Gent
- "Papier" 2007, Antwerp
- "Drawing Actions" 2009, Geel
- "When Will They Finally See the Power of Drawing" 2010-2011, Antwerp.
- "Tchip Tchip", 2012
- alongside Philippe Vandenberg, Masahisa Fukase, Raphaël Buedts, …, Marchin
- "Raak", 2012
- "The Golem-Project", TINA-B, 2012, Prague
- "gratis toegang", St. Martinuspastorij, 2013, Westmalle
- "Quinta Essentia", semina rerum, 2013, Zürich
- "Crossing lines again" Workplace, 2013, Antwerp
- "Oorlog en Trauma", Museum Dr.Guislain, 2013-2014, Ghent
- "ALMANACH", curated by Lorand Hegyi, Galerie Heike Curtze, 2014, Vienna (A) and Galleria Alessandro Bagnai, 2014, Firenze (I)
- "La fureur de vivre", LA BRASSERIE, 2014, Foncquevillers (F)
- "(RE)VIEW", groupshow at CCHA, curated by René Geladé, 2015, Hasselt
- "The Pistil's Waltz", Groupshow at Gallery Fifty One, 2015, Antwerp
- "PAUL GEES & ARPAÏS DU BOIS" at EVA STEYNEN.DEVIATION(S), 2015, Antwerp
- "Grote Prijs Ernest Albert", De Garage, 2016, Mechelen
- "Die van Aalst hedendaagse kunst uit privé-verzamelingen", curator Jan De Nys, 2016, Gent
- "The Central Periphery", (Antwerp Art Weekend), DE STUDIO, 2016, Antwerp
- "DRAWING FRONT", Drawing Centre Diepenheim, 2016 (NL)
- Turine, Roger Pierre (November 2008). "Le sauvetage de la grande béquille" [The rescue of the big crutch] (PDF). AAA Collect (in French). Archived from the original (PDF) on December 2008.
- Poels, Anne-Marie (November 2008). "Arpaïs Du Bois" (PDF). <h>ART (in Dutch). Archived from the original (PDF) on December 2008.
- Rinckhout, Eric (2011-01-28). "Elke dag een tekening, een jaar lang" [A drawing every day, for a year] (PDF). De Morgen (in Dutch). p. 38. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 2011.
- Poels, Anne-Marie (March 2012). "Yamamoto Masao en ARPAÏS du bois" [Yamamoto Masao and ARPAÏS du bois] (PDF). <h>ART (in Dutch). Archived from the original (PDF) on March 2012.
- Lorent, Claude (2010-12-24). "Bel hommage au dessin" [A beautiful tribute to drawing] (in French). La Libre Belgique. p. 48. Archived from the original on 2010-12-24.
- Popelier, Bert (2010-12-15). "Revival van de tekenkunst" [Revival of the art of drawing] (in Dutch). De Tijd. p. 30. Archived from the original on 2010-12-15.