|Alternative names||Arroz negro, paella negra, black risotto|
|Place of origin||Spain|
|Region or state||Valencia, Catalonia|
|Main ingredients||White rice, cuttlefish or squid, cephalopod ink, cubanelle peppers|
|Other information||Also popular in Puerto Rico|
Arròs negre (Valencian pronunciation: [aˈrɔz ˈneɣɾe], Spanish: arroz negro) is a Valencian and Catalan dish made with cuttlefish (or squid) and rice, somewhat similar to seafood paella. Some call it paella negra ("black paella"), although it is traditionally not called a paella even though it is prepared in a similar manner.
The traditional recipe for this dish calls for squid ink, cuttlefish or squid, white rice, garlic, green cubanelle peppers, sweet paprika, olive oil and seafood broth. However, many cooks add other seafood as well, such as crab and shrimp.
The dish's dark color comes from squid ink which also enhances its seafood flavor.
In addition to Valencia and Catalonia, this dish is popular in Cuba and Puerto Rico where on both islands it is known as arroz con calamares ("rice with squid" in Spanish). In the Philippines, it is considered to be a subtype of the Filipino adaptation of paelya and is known as paella negra (or paelya negra). Black rice dishes with cuttlefish or squid ink are also made in Italy, Croatia and Montenegro, where they are known as "black risotto".
|Wikibooks Cookbook has a recipe/module on|
- Catalan cuisine
- List of rice dishes – Wikipedia list article
- List of seafood dishes – Wikipedia list article
- Valencian cuisine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arroz negro.|
- Info about arròs negre on the Barcelona Review website
- Info about arròs negre on the Spain-Recipes website
- Info about arròs negre on the Fell Walker website
- Info about arròs negre on the Tourism Barcelona website
- Chef Juanry Segui shares the Valencian recipe for arroz negro Archived May 30, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Arroz con calamares presented as a Cuban recipe Archived 2008-10-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Arroz con calamares presented as a Puerto Rican recipe Archived July 10, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- "Paellitos Negritos (Squid Ink Paella)". Panlasang Pinoy Meaty Recipes. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Polistico, Edgie (2017). Philippine Food, Cooking, & Dining Dictionary. Anvil Publishing, Incorporated. ISBN 9786214200870.
|This Catalan cuisine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|