Arrakis Planitia is a planitia (plain) on Titan, the largest moon of the planet Saturn. It is located in Titan's southern hemisphere, between 74-80° south and 113-134° east, within the Mezzoramia region.
Arrakis Planitia is named after Arrakis, a fictional desert planet that is featured prominently in Frank Herbert's Dune novels. The name follows a convention that Titanean plains are named after planets in Herbert's work.
- "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature: Arrakis Planitia". Planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov. April 5, 2010. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- United States Geological Survey. "Titan with VIMS background and RADAR strips". Accessed 14 Nov, 2012.
- Blue, Jennifer (August 4, 2009). "USGS Astrogeology Hot Topics: New Name, Descriptor Term, and Theme Approved for Use on Titan". Astrogeology.usgs.gov. Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature: Titan Planitiae". Planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature: Categories for Naming Features on Planets and Satellites". Planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
|This article about an extraterrestrial geological feature is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|