A road within Arrancy
|Intercommunality||Pays de Laon|
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Georges Harant|
|5.57 km2 (2.15 sq mi)|
|• Density||9.7/km2 (25/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||100–209 m (328–686 ft) |
(avg. 120 m or 390 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Arrancy is located some 15 km south-east of Laon and 40 km north-west of Reims. It can be accessed by the D1044 road from Festieux in the north which passes down the eastern edge of the commune and continues south to Corbeny. The village is accessed by the D88 which runs west from the D1044 to the village then continues west to Ployart-et-Vaurseine. There are also some country roads which access the commune. The commune is mixed farmland and forest with no other hamlets or villages other than Arrancy.
La Bièvre stream rises north-east of the village and flows south-west to the south of the village then west into the Ailette Lake.
List of Successive Mayors of Arrancy
|2001||Present||Georges Harant||UMP then LR|
(Not all data is known)
Culture and heritage
The commune has two buildings and structures that are registered as historical monuments:
- The Chateau of Arrancy (17th century) is registered as an historical monument.
- The old Chateau of Arranceau (15th century) is registered as an historical monument.
The Church of Saint-Rémi contains many items that are registered as historical objects:
- A Statue (16th century)
- A Statue: Saint Barbe (16th century)
- A Tombstone of Charles Duglas, his wife, and their children (1703)
- A Tombstone of Louis de Proisy and Louise de Gris, his wife (1628)
- A Tombstone of Philippe Duglas (1614)
- A Tombstone of Jacques de Proisy, Baron of La Bove, and Claudine d'Espena, his wife (1561)
- Thomas-Antoine-Jean Maussion, French politician, Mayor of Arrancy, died there in 1839.
- Lieutenant-Colonel René de La Tour du Pin, Marquis of La Charce, was born on 1 April 1834 in Arrancy.
Notes and references
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA02000077 Chateau of Arrancy (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00115507 Chateau of Arranceau (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02001416 Statue (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02001415 Statue: Saint Barbe (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000041 Tombstone of Charles Duglas, his wife, and their children (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000040 Tombstone of Louis de Proisy and Louise de Gris, his wife (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000039 Tombstone of Philippe Duglas (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000038 Tombstone of Jacques de Proisy, Baron of La Bove, and Claudine d'Espena, his wife (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arrancy.|
- Arrancy on the old IGN website (in French)
- Bell Towers website (in French)
- 40000 bell towers website (in French)
- Arrancy on Lion1906
- Arrancy on Google Maps
- Arrancy on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Arancy on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Arrancy on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)