|Service type||Bus services|
|Hubs||Derby bus station|
|Fleet||144 (August 2011)|
In March 1880 the Derby Tramways Company commenced operating horse-drawn trams between Market Place and Derby railway station. The Derby Corporation Act of 1899 saw the Derby Corporation take over the tram lines in November 1899. Between 1903 and 1907 the network was extended and electrified.
In May 1917 a battery-powered bus entered service. A second entered service in 1920, but both were replaced with motor buses in 1924. Between January 1932 and July 1934 Derby's trams were replaced by trolleybuses. Motor buses continued to operate alongside the trolleybuses until the network began to be closed in the 1960s with the last running in September 1967.
In December 1973 Derby Corporation purchased Blue Bus Services of Willington. In 1974 Derby Corporation was renamed Derby Borough Transport and in 1977 Derby City Transport when Derby was granted city status. To comply with the Transport Act 1985, in October 1986 the assets of Derby City Transport were transferred to a new legal entity.
In 1994 Derby City Transport was sold to British Bus and rebranded as City Rider with a yellow, red and blue livery adopted. In August 1996 British Bus was purchased by the Cowie Group and again rebranded as Arriva Derby with the corporate aquamarine and cream livery adopted.
As of August 2011 the fleet consisted of 144 buses and coaches.
- Companies House extract company no 2362274 Arriva Derby Limited formerly Derby City Transport Limited
- Derby Corporation Transport 1899 - 1986 Peter Gould
- Blue Bus Services (Tailby and George) Archived October 23, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. Stephen Howarth
- Companies House extract company no 919886 Radiogates Limited formerly Camms of Nottingham Limited
- Companies House extract company no 1556557 Foxhound Limited formerly Midland Red (East) Limited
- Arriva Midlands - In Derby The Derby Bus Depot
- Arriva Derby Fleet List derbybusdepot.co.uk August 2011
- Derby Corporation Transport Bus Fleet List 1899-1986 Peter Gould
- New bus routes will provide greater link to Pride Park Derby Telegraph 3 October 2008