Art Basel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Art Basel stages art fairs in Basel, Miami Beach and Hong Kong. Each show has participating galleries, exhibition sectors, artworks and parallel programming produced in collaboration with the host city's local institutions.

Art Basel provides a platform for galleries to show and sell their work, giving them access to collectors, museum directors and curators.

Galleries are accepted to each show through an annual application process that begins approximately nine months in advance of the respective show.

History[edit]

Art Basel was founded in 1970 by Basel gallerists Trudi Bruckner, Balz Hilt and Ernst Beyeler. Over 16,000 visitors attended the inaugural show, which highlighted 90 galleries. By the third year, Art Basel's attendance had grown to 30,000 with 281 galleries participating.[1]

Art Basel launched in Miami Beach in 2002, under the leadership of former director, Samuel Keller.[2]

The Hong Kong version debuted in May 2013, stemming from Art Basel's parent company, MCH Swiss Exhibition, acquiring 60% of Asian Art Fairs Limited in 2011. The company purchased the remaining 40% in 2014.[3]

Leadership and management[edit]

Marc Spiegler has been director of Art Basel since 2007. Spiegler oversees the development of the organization globally and across the three shows.

Noah Horowitz was appointed Director Americas in 2015. Horowitz served as Executive Director of The Armory Show in New York since 2011.[4]

Adeline Ooi was appointed Director Asia in 2014 to lead the development of Art Basel's Hong Kong show. Ooi had previously served as Art Basel's VIP Relations Manager for Southeast Asia.

Show format[edit]

Art Basel shows are generally divided into sectors, with deviations depending on location: Galleries, Feature, Statements, Edition, Unlimited, Nova (Miami Beach), Survey (Miami Beach), Insights (Hong Kong), Discoveries (Hong Kong), Parcours, Film and Magazines. Each show also features two talk series called Conversations and Salon.

Art Basel in Basel[edit]

Art Basel in Basel takes place in June at Messe Basel in Basel, Switzerland.

Art Basel in Miami Beach[edit]

Art Basel in Miami Beach takes place each December at the Miami Beach Convention Center.

Art Basel in Hong Kong[edit]

The Hong Kong edition of Art Basel takes place in March at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.

Further reading[edit]

  • Franz Schultheis, Erwin Single, Stephan Egger, Thomas Mazzurana: When Art meets Money. Encounters at the Art Basel. Verlag Walther König, Cologne 2015. ISBN 978-3863357443.
  • Art Basel | Year 45. JRP|Ringier, 2015. ISBN 978-3-03764-395-2.

References[edit]

  1. ^ Basel, Art. "Art Basel". Art Basel. Retrieved 2016-01-25. 
  2. ^ Bell, Jennie. "Samuel Keller". Artinfo. Retrieved 2014-01-11. 
  3. ^ Seno, Alexandra A. (2011-05-06). "Hong Kong's Art Fair Goes on Swiss Time - Scene Asia - WSJ". Blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 2014-01-11. 
  4. ^ Bowley, Graham (2015-07-14). "Art Basel Hires Armory Show Director to Run Its Miami Fair". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-01-25. 

External links[edit]