Arthur S.W. Chantry II
|Known for||Graphic Design|
|Album covers for Mudhoney, Mono Men, Soundgarden, and The Sonics|
|Awards||Exhibited at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Museum of Modern Art, the Smithsonian, and the Louvre, recipient of the 2017 AIGA Medal|
Arthur Samuel Wilbur Chantry II (born April 9, 1954 in Seattle) is a graphic designer often associated with the posters and album covers he has done for bands from the Pacific Northwest, such as Mudhoney, Mono Men, Soundgarden and The Sonics.
Chantry's designs are perhaps most closely associated with the Seattle, Washington-based Sub Pop Records and the Bellingham, Washington-based Estrus Records, for which he has worked with dozens of bands. He is also notable for his work in magazine and logo design. Chantry worked throughout the 1980s as art director at The Rocket, a Seattle-based music biweekly.
Chantry advocates a low-tech approach to design that is informed by the history of the field. His work has been exhibited at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Museum of Modern Art, Seattle Art Museum, the Smithsonian and the Louvre. Chantry builds his record, poster, and magazine designs by hand, eschewing the now-ubiquitous computer and laser printer for X-acto knives, Xerox machines, and photoset type. His bright, eye-popping creations can be seen frequently in the mom and pop record store as in the pages of establishment design magazines like Print or Communication Arts.
Chantry is the author of the book Art Chantry Speaks: A Heretic's History of 20th Century Graphic Design, released in 2015.
- "St. Louis Post-Dispatch Newspaper Archives". nl.newsbank.com. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- "Art Chantry; Ansel Adams; `In Full View'". The New York Times. 2003-08-01. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- Shepherd, Julianne. "Art Chantry". Portland Mercury. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- "PAPERBACKS; Chantry's illustrations epitomize Seattle scene.(ENTERTAINMENT) - Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN) | HighBeam Research". web.archive.org. 2012-11-04. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet : the Collected Interviews. Akashic Books; Revised Edition. April 1, 2007. p. 209. ISBN 1933354321.
- Lasky, Julie (February 1, 2001). Some People Can't Surf: The Graphic Design of Art Chantry. Chronicle Books.
- "2017 AIGA Medalist Art Chantry". AIGA | the professional association for design. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
|This biographical article about a graphic designer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|