|Arthur S.W. Chantry II|
April 9, 1954 |
|Known for||Graphic Design|
|Notable work||Album covers for Mudhoney, Mono Men, Soundgarden, and The Sonics|
|Awards||Exhibited at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Museum of Modern Art, the Smithsonian, and the Louvre|
Arthur Samuel Wilbur Chantry II (born April 9, 1954 in Seattle) is a graphic designer often associated with the posters and album covers he has done for bands from the Pacific Northwest, such as Mudhoney, Mono Men, Soundgarden and The Sonics. Chantry's designs are perhaps most closely associated with the Seattle, Washington based Sub Pop Records and the Bellingham, Washington based Estrus Records, for which he has worked with dozens of bands. He is also notable for his work in logo design. 
Chantry advocates a low-tech approach to design that is informed by the history of the field. His work has been exhibited at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Museum of Modern Art, Seattle Art Museum, the Smithsonian and the Louvre. Chantry builds his record, poster, and magazine designs by hand, eschewing the now-ubiquitous computer and laser printer for X-acto knives, Xerox machines, and photoset type. His bright, eye-popping creations can be seen frequently in the mom and pop record store as in the pages of establishment design magazines like Print or Communication Arts.
Some People Can't Surf: The Graphic Design of Art Chantry by Julie Lasky is a book released in 2001. The monograph explored Chantry's process crafting his graphic design.
Chantry is the author of the book Art Chantry Speaks: A Heretic's History of 20th Century Graphic Design, released in 2015.
- "THE ART OF ART (OR: THE POSTER BOY OF POSTER ART)" - St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- "Art Chantry; Ansel Adams; `In Full View'" - New York Times
- "Art Chantry" - The Portland Mercury
- "Chantry's illustrations epitomize Seattle scene" - Star Tribune
- We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet : the Collected Interviews. Akashic Books; Revised Edition. April 1, 2007. p. 209. ISBN 1933354321.
- Lasky, Julie (February 1, 2001). Some People Can't Surf: The Graphic Design of Art Chantry. Chronicle Books.
|This biographical article about a Washington artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a graphic designer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|