Art Research Center
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Art Research Center is an independent not-for-profit association in Kansas City, Missouri. In its early days, members included architects, artists, composers, designers, writers and others. Its work was connected with the exploration of abstract Neo-Constructivism, by both individuals and groups. The association grew out of an earlier collaborative art gallery project, and was started by Thomas Michael Stephens in 1964. The first exhibition was held in 1966.:190 In 1969, Stephens, with Jon Brees Thogmartin and Nancy Ann Stephens, took work by eight artists of the group to the fourth New Tendencies exhibition in Zagreb, at that time in Yugoslavia; the works were displayed as a group, forming a cohesive whole.:190
The Art Research Center's first exhibition ran from October 29, 1966 to January 31, 1967 at a branch of the Kansas City public library. Seven members participated in the first ARC exhibition.
The ARC Welders
The Art Research Center often recruited artists and musicians to participate in live music concerts. These concerts included improvised ensemble works by the "ARC Welders." The ARC Welders in general, consisted of the musicians who happened to be participating in any given event.
- [s.n.] (1977). International Opportunities for Artists. Leonardo 10 (1, Winter 1977): 64–65. (subscription required).
- Armin Medosch (2016). New Tendencies: Art at the Threshold of the Information Revolution (1961–1978). Cambridge, Massachusetts; London: MIT Press. ISBN 9780262034166.
- Gordon, Mary Beth (September 1980). "The Art Research Center". Westport Magazine q977.8411 W537. pp. 6–8.
- The Center. 1966–1970. (c) Art Research Center. Volumes 1-7. MVSC PF 709.778
- von Ziegesar, Peter (July 1986). "Art Center: Radical art form has found a home in Kansas City". Kansas City Magazine.