Art in America
|Editor||William S. Smith|
|Publisher||Art Media Holdings|
Art in America is an illustrated monthly, international magazine concentrating on the contemporary art world in the United States, including profiles of artists and genres, updates about art movements, show reviews and event schedules. It is designed for collectors, artists, art dealers, art professionals and other readers interested in the art world. It has an active website, ArtinAmericaMagazine.com.
Founded in 1913, Art in America covers the visual art world, both in the United States and abroad, with a concentration on New York City and contemporary art fairs. Between 1921 and 1939 the magazine was published under the title Art in America and Elsewhere.
A number of well-known artists have been commissioned to design special covers for the magazine. Edward Steichen did one for its 50th birthday; Alexander Calder, Robert Rauschenberg, Roy Lichtenstein and Robert Indiana also created covers. For its 100th birthday the magazine planned special covers by Richard Prince, Cindy Sherman, and Urs Fischer.
Long-time editor Elizabeth C. Baker, who led the magazine for 34 years, resigned in June 2008 and was replaced by staff senior editor Marcia E. Vetrocq. She served as editor until January 2011. During her tenure, the magazine was re-designed, its international coverage expanded, and a website launched. Art market blogger and Bloomberg reporter Lindsay Pollock was named editor-in-chief in January 2011. Pollock announced that she was leaving in April 2017. Cynthia Zabel joined Art in America in 2005 as advertising director, and in 2008 was named publisher.
Art in America was sold to ARTnews SA, parent of ARTnews in 2015.Brant Publications acquired both Art in America and ‘ARTnews from ARTnews SA. The print magazine is published 11 times a year with a joint June/July issue. Select reviews and features are uploaded to the website.
- Wilhelm Valentiner (1913–1917)
- Frederic Fairchild Sherman (1917–1940; founder)
- Jean Lipman (first joined in 1934, editor-in-chief 1941–1970)
- Brian O'Doherty (1971–1974)
- Elizabeth C. Baker (1974–2008)
- Marcia Vetrocq (2008–2011)
- Lindsay Pollock (2011–2017)
- William S. Smith (2017–)
- Joan Simon (1974–1983)
- Nancy Marmer (1983–1997)
- Richard Vine (1998–2008, 2013–)
- David Ebony (2008–2013)
Art in America is widely read by art dealers, collectors, historians, art professionals, and others. It contains news and art criticism of painting, sculpture, photography, installation art, performance art, digital art, video and architecture in exhibition reviews, artist profiles, and feature articles.
Art Media Holdings
Art in Action
Chelsea Art Guide is a bi-monthly, free publication produced by Art in America. Chelsea Art is a current guide to New York's vast contemporary art district. With exhibition listings and an annotated map, Chelsea Art is a guide to the constantly changing geography of Chelsea.
ArtinAmericaMagazine.com is Art in America's website. Its offerings include a calendar of art world events, videos, live coverage of art fairs, and information on auctions.
- Dave Hickey
- Janet Koplos
- Carol Diehl
- Mark Staff Brandl
- Stephen Westfall
- David Ebony
- Eleanor Heartney
- Henry T. Hopkins
- Cathy Lebowitz
- Joe Lewis
- Nancy Princenthal
- Raphael Rubinstein
- Richard Vine
- Robert Berlind
- Maurice Berger
- Craig Owens
- Brian Wallis
- Christopher Phillips
- G. Roger Denson
- Linda Nochlin
- Lee Rosenbaum
- Hal Foster
- Nancy Marmer
- Walter Robinson
- Charles Stuckey
- Peter Plagens
- Peter Schjeldahl
- Jamey Gambrell
- Carter Ratcliff
- Alfred Corn
- Kennedy, Randy (25 June 2008). "Longtime Art in America Editor Steps Down". New York Times.
- "1913-1979". Art in America. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- Vogel, Carol (22 November 2012). "A Year Of Birthday Surprises". New York Times.
- The Editors of ARTnews (2017-04-25). "Art in America Editor-in-Chief Lindsay Pollock Steps Down". ARTnews. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Sarah Cascone (October 9, 2015). "'ARTnews' Magazine Ceases Monthly Print Publication After 113 Years". ARTnet. Retrieved December 11, 2016.
- "BMP Media Holdings Completes Transaction to Assume U.S. Assets of Artnews S.A." 2016-05-27. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "Art Market Views – Lindsay Pollock: Art Market Views | Art Researcher Skate's and Peter Brant Media Team Up". Lindsaypollock.com. Archived from the original on 2012-02-25. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- Munk, Shilo (2009-09-28). "Henry T. Hopkins: Retired art department chair, Hammer director". UCLA Newsroom. Retrieved 2016-06-29.