|Focus||Using Arts and the artistic process in the teaching of all academic subjects|
|Owner||Leonard Bernstein Center|
Artful Learning is an educational philosophy model that is concept-based and interdisciplinary. Artful Learning was initiated by Leonard Bernstein and is rooted in using the arts to enhance all areas of education.
In 1990, Leonard Bernstein received the Praemium Imperiale, an international prize awarded by the Japan Arts Association for lifetime achievement in the arts. Bernstein used the $100,000 prize to establish The Bernstein Education Through the Arts (BETA) Fund, Inc. Leonard Bernstein provided this grant to develop an arts-based education program. The Leonard Bernstein Center was established in April 1992, and initiated extensive school-based research, resulting in the Bernstein Model. After six years of association with the Grammy Foundation, the Leonard Bernstein Center for Learning moved to Gettysburg College, PA.
Artful Learning is based on Bernstein's philosophy that the arts can strengthen learning and be incorporated in all academic subjects. The program is based on "units of study," which each consist of four core elements: experience, inquire, create, and reflect.
Research shows that participation in the arts plays a vital role in influencing brain development and performance. Arts which are considered enrichment in education programs, may in fact be central to the way humans neurologically process and learn. In 1999, The President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities teamed up with the Arts Education Partnership to publish a comprehensive study on the inclusion of the arts in education.
- Alternative education
- Project-based learning
- Montessori method
- Waldorf education
- Sudbury school
- Summerhill School
- Friedrich Fröbel
- Reggio Children - Loris Malaguzzi Centre Foundation
- "Evaluation of the Artful Learning Program" (PDF). cse.ucla.edu. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-06-27. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- "History of the Leonard Bernstein Center for Learning". webadrenaline.com. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "Leonard Bernstein Center for Learning moves to Gettysburg College". gettysburg.edu. Retrieved 2005-11-14.
- "THE LEONARD BERNSTEIN ARTFUL LEARNING MODEL: A CASE STUDY OF AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL". digitalcommons.nl.edu. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Leonard Bernstein's Arts-Based Education Revolution". huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Artful Learning". indiana.edu. Retrieved 2011-01-12.
- Artful Learning: Holistic Curriculum Development for Mind, Body, Heart, and Spirit
- Students Make Sure the Cherokees Are Not Removed . . . Again: A Study of Service Learning and Artful Learning in Teaching History
- How singing helped healing: One Napa woman's story
- Artful Learning Gifted & Talented Open House
- Champions of change : the impact of the arts on learning
- These museum tours for kids will engage little ones in artful learning
- Why Our Schools Need the Arts