Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Other names||Joint disease|
|Bone erosions from rheumatoid arthritis.|
Signs and symptoms
Joint pain is a common but non-specific sign of joint disease. Signs will depend on the specific disease, and may even then vary. Common signs may include:
- Decreased range of motion
- Pneumarthrosis, air in a joint (which is also a common normal finding).
- Bone erosion
- Systemic signs of arthritis such as fatigue
Joint diseases can be classified as follows:
- Infectious arthritis
- Noninfectious arthritis
- Hemarthrosis (joint bleeding)
- Synovitis is the medical term for inflammation of the synovial membrane.
- Joint dislocation
With arthropathy in the name
- Reactive arthropathy (M02-M03) is caused by an infection, but not a direct infection of the synovial space. (See also Reactive arthritis)
- Enteropathic arthropathy (M07) is caused by colitis and related conditions.
- Crystal arthropathy (also known as crystal arthritis) (M10-M11) involves the deposition of crystals in the joint.
- Diabetic arthropathy (M14.2, E10-E14) is caused by diabetes.
- Neuropathic arthropathy (M14.6) is associated with a loss of sensation.
- Ideguchi, Haruko; Ohno, Shigeru; Hattori, Hideaki; Senuma, Akiko; Ishigatsubo, Yoshiaki (2006). "Bone erosions in rheumatoid arthritis can be repaired through reduction in disease activity with conventional disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs". Arthritis Research & Therapy. 8 (3): R76. doi:10.1186/ar1943. ISSN 1478-6354. PMC 1526642. PMID 16646983.
- "arthropathy" at Dorland's Medical Dictionary
- thefreedictionary.com > arthritis in turn citing:
- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright 2000
- The American Heritage Science Dictionary Copyright 2005
- arthritis. CollinsDictionary.com. Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 11th Edition. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- thefreedictionary.com/spondyloarthropathy citing:
- Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009
- Miller-Keane Encyclopedia & Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003
- Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, 3 ed. © 2007