|Born||Arthur Goodhart Altschul
April 6, 1920
|Died||March 17, 2002(aged 81)|
|Spouse(s)||Stephanie Rosemary Wagner (until her death)
Siri von Reis (divorced)
Diana Landreth Childs (divorced)
Patricia Dey (until his death)
with von Reis:
--Arthur Altschul, Jr.
--Emily Helen Altschul
|Parent(s)||Helen Lehman Goodhart
|Family||Mayer Lehman (great-grandfather)|
Arthur Goodhart Altschul (6 April 1920 – 17 March 2002) was an American banking mogul and a Goldman Sachs Group partner, and executive at his private family office, Overbrook Management Corporation, founded by his father.
Altschul was born in 1920 in Manhattan to Helen Lehman Goodhart (maternal granddaughter of Mayer Lehman, one of the three founding brothers of Lehman brothers) and Frank Altschul, an investment banker who was a senior partner at Lazard Frères until 1945 and chairman of General Investors Corporation until he retired in 1961.
As he had family connections to the Lehman family, he worked as an analyst with Lehman Brothers before joining General American Investors Company (a closed-end investment concern in which his family has a substantial interest) and then Goldman Sachs where he served as a general partner from 1959 to 1977 and a limited partner from 1977 to 1999. He was also chairman of General American Investors from 1961 to 1995.
He led the private family office, Overbrook Management Corporation, founded by his father to manage and protect the wealth and financial well-being of the Altschul Family. In 2002, the office opened its doors to provides asset management and related services to institutional investors and high net worth individuals. Over the years, Overbrook’s leadership passed to him, and then to the third generation, his son, Arthur Goodhart Altschul, Jr, who currently serves as Overbrook’s Chairman.
Altschul was on the Board of Trustees of many museums and philanthropic organisations, including the Whitney Museum, the United Jewish Appeal, the Overbrook Foundation, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The American Assembly, and the International Foundation for Art Research.
Altschul was married four times:
- Stephanie Rosemary Wagner, married in 1956, she later died in a plane crash.
- Stephen Altschul (b 1957), mathematician and researcher
- Charles Altschul
- Siri von Reis (divorced 1972) with whom he had three children:
- Arthur Altschul, Jr. (born 1964), in 2013, he married Palestinian newscaster Rula Jebreal.
- Emily Helen Altschul (born 1966), in November 2002, she married John Miller (journalist), former host of 20/20, the weekly news magazine on ABC, in a civil ceremony in Manhattan.
- Serena Altschul (b 1970), MTV and CNN broadcast journalist
- Diana Landreth Childs (divorced)
- Patricia Dey, married in 1996
- Social Security Death IndexRootsweb.com
- Paid Notice: Deaths: Altschul, Arthur Goodhart
- New York Times: "Arthur G. Altschul, 81, Banker, Art Collector and Philanthropist" By ERIC PACE March 20, 2002
- New York Times: Principals in Wedding Ceremony Here; Stephanie R. Wagner Is Bride Of Arthur Goodhart Altschul April 30, 1956,
- New York Post: "Arthur Altschul, Jr. engaged to Rula Jebreal" May 2, 2013
- New York Times: "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS; Emily Altschul, John Miller" November 24, 2002