Biography and career
He became enamored with acting after performing stand-up routines in front of fellow GIs in Europe, during World War II. Educated in dramatic art at the Actors' Lab in Los Angeles, followed by extensive stage experience. Recently noted as "Mr. Kirkland" in several installments of the "Police Academy" franchise.
In the 1959-1960 season, Batanides appeared in a supporting role as police Sergeant Olivera in the syndicated crime drama, Johnny Midnight, starring Edmond O'Brien as a New York City actor-turned-private detective.
Batanides guest starred in such series as Crusader, Zorro, Combat!, The Twilight Zone, The Asphalt Jungle, Blue Light, Lost in Space, Mission: Impossible, The Silent Force, I Spy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Wild Wild West, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Odd Couple, and Happy Days. He appeared as Bill Golding in the season six, 1963 episode of Perry Mason entitled "The Case of the Shoplifter's Shoe". One of his more recognizable roles was that of the unfortunate Starfleet officer/geologist D'Amato in the Star Trek episode "That Which Survives". Among his film credits are The Unearthly (1957), Violent Road (1958), The Leech Woman (1960), Man-Trap (1961), The Maltese Bippy (1969), Evil Roy Slade (1972) and Brannigan (1975). He also appeared as Mr Kirkland in four of the Police Academy film series, and the 6th installment (City Under Siege) was his final acting appearance.
- Black Tuesday (1954) - Reporter at Electrocution (uncredited)
- The Ten Commandments (1956) - Hebrew at Rameses' Gate / Hebrew at Golden Calf (uncredited)
- Violent Road (1958) - Ben
- Cry Tough (1959) - Alvears
- The Leech Woman (1960) - Jerry
- Spartacus (1960) - Legionnaire (uncredited)
- Man-Trap (1961) - Cortez
- The Maltese Bippy (1969) - Tony
- The Cat Ate the Parakeet (1972) - Marty
- Brannigan (1975) - Angell
- Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985) - Old Man Kirkland
- Police Academy 3: Back in Training (1986) - Mr. Kirkland
- Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol (1987) - Mr. Kirkland
- Police Academy 6: City Under Siege (1989) - Mr. Kirkland (final film role)
- "United States Social Security Death Index," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JG3H-42N : accessed 21 Jan 2013), Arthur Batanides, 10 January 2000; citing U.S. Social Security Administration, Death Master File, database (Alexandria, Virginia: National Technical Information Service, ongoing).
- Arthur Batanides at Find a Grave
- Arthur Batanides at the Internet Movie Database
- Arthur Batanides at Memory Alpha (a Star Trek wiki)
- Arthur Batanides at AllMovie
|This Washington (state) biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States film and television actor or actress born in the 1920s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|