Arthur Donaldson (actor)
Arthur Donaldson (5 April 1869 – 28 September 1955), was a Swedish-American actor. He appeared in 71 films between 1910 and 1934.
He worked for Kalem Company under the direction of Sidney Olcott. During summer 1911, he went to Ireland with the O'Kalems, a stage company, to shoot films. They settled in Beaufort, Co Kerry, where they made 13 films, directed by Olcott. Among them: Rory O'More, The Colleen Bawn in which he played a priest, and The Fishermaid of Ballydavid, Arrah-na-Pogue...
After Ireland, he returned briefly to Sweden, appearing in operettas at Oscarsteatern and making two Swedish films (one as director) before going back to America. He also directed Domen (1924), a Swedish-language short film, a version of Retribution, in the DeForest Phonofilm process.
Back to the US, he worked again with Sidney Olcott in films like A Mother of Men (1914), The Irish in America (1915), shot in 1914 in Ireland, The Moth and the Flame (1915), The Ghost of Twisted Oaks (1915)...
In the twenties, he find an old comrade of the O'Kalems, Robert G. Vignola, become director for Cosmopolitan Productions. He played in When Knighthood Was in Flower (1922) and Yolanda, both with Marion Davies. He played to in America, directed by D.W. Griffith.
- The Conspiracy of Pontiac - The Indian Chief
- A Lad from Old Ireland (1910) - The Priest
- Rory O'More (1911) - Father O'Brien
- The Colleen Bawn (1911) - Father Tom
- The Fishermaid of Ballydavid (1911) - Kathleen's father
- Arrah-na-Pogue (1911) - O'Grady
- The Atheist (1913) - A Clergyman
- The Day of Days (1914)
- A Mother of Men (1914)
- The Idle Rich (1914)
- Tricking the Government (1914)
- The Moth and the Flame (1915) - Mr Walton
- The Irish in America (1915) - Kerry Bay
- The Ghost of Twisted Oaks (1915) - The Snake charmer
- Enlighten Thy Daughter (1917)
- The A.B.C. of Love (1919)
- The Undercurrent (1919)
- A Modern Salome (1920)
- The Silver Lining (1921)
- The Passionate Pilgrim (1921)
- Find the Woman (1922)
- When Knighthood Was in Flower (1922)
- Yolanda (1924)
- America (1924)
- For Woman's Favor (1924)
- The Bandolero (1924)
- The Swan (1925)
- Fifty-Fifty (1925)
- Love 'Em and Leave 'Em (1926)
- Wives at Auction (1926)
- Hans J. Wollstein (1994). Strangers in Hollywood: the history of Scandinavian actors in American films from 1910 to World War II. Scarecrow Press. pp. 67–73. ISBN 978-0-8108-2938-1. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- Hvar 8 dag (Swedish illustrated weekly magazine) no. 52 1911
- Svensk filmdatabas (Swedish film database) at the website of the Swedish Film Institute
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arthur Donaldson (actor).|
|This article about a United States film actor or actress born in the 1860s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|