Arthur E. Goldman
|Arthur E. Goldman|
Official NASA portrait of Arthur E. Goldman
|Born||November 10, 1953|
|Title||Executive Director, Southeast Space Operations division|
|Spouse(s)||Nancy Lovell Goldman|
Arthur E. "Gene" Goldman (born November 10, 1953) is the executive director for Aerojet's Southeast Space Operations division. Before retiring from NASA in August 2012, he last served as Acting Director of the Marshall Space Flight Center located in Huntsville, Alabama. He was appointed as acting director effective March 5, 2012, following the promotion of the previous director, Robert M. Lightfoot, Jr., to Acting Associate Administrator of NASA.
Goldman earned a bachelor's degree in civil engineering from Mississippi State University in 1977. Goldman joined NASA in 1990 as a project engineer in the Marshall Shuttle Project Integration Office.
Awards and honors
Over the course of Goldman's NASA career, he has been honored multiple times for his work with the agency. In 2002, he was awarded the NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal for "advocacy of small business". In 2007, he received the NASA Outstanding Leadership Medal for his work as main engine project manager for the Space Shuttle program. In 2010, he was presented the Presidential Rank Award for "sustained extraordinary accomplishment" with NASA. Goldman was inducted into the Meridian Community College Hall of Fame in 2010 for career achievement.
On July 9, 2012, Aerojet announced that Goldman would be leaving NASA on August 3, 2012, to become the executive director for its Southeast Space Operations division effective August 6, 2012. Marshall's associate director for management, Robin Henderson, replaced Goldman as acting director of the center.
- Roop, Lee (March 2, 2012). "Marshall Space Flight Center's No. 2 moves to acting No. 1 next week". The Huntsville Times. Retrieved April 6, 2012.
- Weaver, David; Stanfield, Jennifer (February 21, 2012). "NASA Administrator Announces Senior Leadership Changes" (Press release). Marshall Space Flight Center. NASA. Retrieved April 6, 2012.
- Storey, Angela (April 5, 2012). "Russell, Miss., Native Arthur E. 'Gene' Goldman Named Acting Director of NASA's Marshall Center" (Press release). Marshall Space Flight Center. NASA. Retrieved April 6, 2012.
- Kelley, Mike (April 6, 2012). "Goldman named MSFC acting director". The Huntsville Times. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- "Gene Goldman, Acting Director, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center" (PDF). NASA. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- MBJ Staff (March 7, 2010). "Scheuermann elevated to Stennis director". Mississippi Business Journal. Retrieved November 28, 2012.
- Amatore, Dominic (July 9, 2012). "Goldman To Retire as Director of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center" (Press release). Marshall Space Flight Center. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Aerojet (July 9, 2012). "Aerojet Names Arthur "Gene" Goldman as its Southeast Space Operations Lead" (Press release). MarketWatch. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- Roop, Lee (July 9, 2012). "Goldman will try to help Aerojet develop rocket business in Huntsville and Southeast". The Huntsville Times. Retrieved July 13, 2012.