Arthur Gardiner Butler
Arthur Gardiner Butler (born 27 June 1844 in Chelsea, London – died 28 May 1925 in Beckenham, Kent) was an English entomologist, arachnologist and ornithologist. He worked at the British Museum working on the taxonomy of birds, insects, and spiders.
List of works
Wikispecies (see below) provides a fuller list and links to digitised papers by Gardiner
- Monograph of the species of Charaxes, a genus of diurnal Lepidoptera. Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1865:622–639 (1866)
- Catalogue of diurnal lepidoptera of the family Satyridae in the collection of the British Museum (1868)
- Catalogue of Diurnal Lepidoptera Described by Fabricius in the Collection of the British Museum (1870)
- Lepidoptera Exotica, or, Descriptions and illustrations of exotic lepidoptera (1869–1874)
- Tropical Butterflies and Moths (1873)
- Catalogue of the Lepidoptera of New Zealand (1874)
- The butterflies of Malacca (1879).
- "Catalogue of the butterflies of New Zealand"(1880)
- with Herbert Druce (1846–1913), Descriptions of new genera and species of Lepidoptera from Costa Rica. Cistula entomologica, 1 : 95–118 (1872).
- On a Collection of Lepidoptera from Southern Africa, with Descriptions of new Genera and Species Ann. Mag. nat. Hist. (4) 16 (96) : 394–420 (1875)
- Descriptions of some new Lepidoptera from Kilima-njaro Proc. Zool. Soc. Lond. 1888 : 91–98 (1888)
- On two collection of Lepidoptera sent by H. H. Johnston, Esq., C.B., from British Central Africa Proc. zool. Soc. Lond. 1893: 643–684, pl. 60 (1894)
- Description of a new Species of Butterfly of the Genus Amauris obtained by Mr. Scott Elliot in East Central Africa Ann. Mag. nat. Hist. (6) 16 (91) : 122–123 (1895)
- Butler, On Lepidoptera recently collected in British East Africa by Mr. G. F. Scott Elliot Proc. zool. Soc. Lond. 1895 : 722–742, pl. 42-43 (1896)
- On two collections of lepidoptera made by Mr R. Crawshay in Nyasa-land Proc. zool. Soc. Lond. 1896 : 817–850, pl. 41-42 (1897)
- Foreign birds for cage and aviary, Order Passeres... (1896–1897) illustrated by Frederick William Frohawk (1861–1946)
- British Birds’ Eggs: a handbook of British oölogy
|Wikispecies has information related to: Arthur Gardiner Butler|
- NDSU biographical information
- Internet Archive has digital copies of several works by Gardiner Butler.
|This article about a British entomologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|