Arthur Gardiner Butler
Arthur Gardiner Butler (27 June 1844 in Chelsea, London – 28 May 1925 in Beckenham, Kent) was an English entomologist, arachnologist and ornithologist. He worked at the British Museum working on the taxonomy of birds, insects, and spiders.
List of works
Wikispecies (see below) provides a fuller list and links to digitised papers by Gardiner.
- "Monograph of the species of Charaxes, a genus of diurnal Lepidoptera". Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1865:622–639 (1866)
- Catalogue of Diurnal Lepidoptera of the Family Satyridae in the Collection of the British Museum (1868)
- Catalogue of Diurnal Lepidoptera Described by Fabricius in the Collection of the British Museum (1870)
- Lepidoptera Exotica, or, Descriptions and Illustrations of Exotic Lepidoptera (1869–1874)
- Tropical Butterflies and Moths (1873)
- Catalogue of the Lepidoptera of New Zealand (1874)
- The butterflies of Malacca (1879).
- "Catalogue of the Butterflies of New Zealand" (1880)
- with Herbert Druce (1846–1913), "Descriptions of New Genera and Species of Lepidoptera from Costa Rica". Cistula entomologica, 1: 95–118 (1872).
- "On a Collection of Lepidoptera from Southern Africa, with Descriptions of New Genera and Species" Annals and Magazine of Natural History (4) 16 (96): 394–420 (1875)
- "Descriptions of Some New Lepidoptera from Kilima-njaro" Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1888: 91–98 (1888)
- "On Two Collection of Lepidoptera Sent by H. H. Johnston, Esq., C.B., From British Central Africa" Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1893: 643–684, pl. 60 (1894)
- "Description of a New Species of Butterfly of the Genus Amauris Obtained by Mr. Scott Elliot in East Central Africa" Annals and Magazine of Natural History (6) 16 (91): 122–123 (1895)
- On Lepidoptera recently collected in British East Africa by Mr. G. F. Scott Elliot Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1895: 722–742, pl. 42-43 (1896)
- "On Two Collections of Lepidoptera Made by Mr R. Crawshay in Nyasa-land" Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1896: 817–850, pl. 41-42 (1897)
- Foreign Birds for Cage and Aviary, Order Passeres (1896–1897) illustrated by Frederick William Frohawk (1861–1946)
- British Birds' Eggs: A Handbook of British Oölogy
- Trustees of the Museum (10 December 1898). Statutes and Rules for the British Museum. London: Woodfall and Kinder. pp. 42, 48 – via Internet Archive (Biodiversity Heritage Library).
|Wikispecies has information related to Arthur Gardiner Butler|
- NDSU biographical information
- Internet Archive has digital copies of several works by Gardiner Butler.
|This article about a British entomologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|